downhill on a toro 44 tbar

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by ToG, Mar 28, 2003.

1. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

how do you keep straight coming downhill without the mower taking off on you. i'm running a toro 44" floater with t-bars, it has no resistance. unlike the old braking controls i'm used to where you can easily slow the mower coming downhill. i guess i'm just asking for some techniques

2. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

All you have to do is let off and it will come to a complete stop. Your going down hill and letting your body weight push you up against the T-BAR.

The trick is to find that middle ground. try keeping your finger tips on the solid bar and your thumbs or the meat of your hand on the controls (flexing bar). This will give you a better handle on things. If need be put your body up against the frame handle but make sure your on smooth ground the bumps hurt.
  3. jeffex

jeffex LawnSite Bronze Member

pull back on the t-bar for braking
  4. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I know the feeling. My thought is can you mow side to side instead of straight down? If it is that steep it doesn't seem too safe. (thats without seeing the hill) The hydro and t bar is a great system and like they said above you can try and pull backwards but it will get to a point where you will be spinning the tires in reverse if it is too steep. Good Luck.
  5. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

i was just playing around with it testing its limitations. lawnmutt, if i let go of the mower at the top of the hill and it goes by itself, then how can you say i put the weight of my body on it? i'm not so sure i like the t-bar controls system, sure it seems to save some strain on your hands but as far as control i think it really kind of sucks
  6. lawnmutt

lawnmutt LawnSite Member

I sorry maybe I'm misinforming you. First is your mower a hydro or belt drive. second does it have a velke on it. I assumed it was like mine. I have had one since 1996. I learned on them and in all honesty I can't operate a pistol grip worth a hoot. If you have a skateboard on it it is real easy to let you body weight affect it performance. I weigh about 220lbs and I get off the board on turns on a steep hill. It was stated to take the hill side to side. I don't know what year (model) your mower is, if it is a hydro there is a world of difference between the very old(T-Bar), the old (advanced T-Bar), and the new models. Give me the details and I'll tell you what I know, and what I think. Marty
  7. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

That is why I have a hydro - ease off on the controls and the pumps slow down the wheel motors - if the wheels are spinning backward or you are sliding down the hill its time to reevaluate the situation and attempt to mow from a different angle or use another mower. Suggestion, to maintain tracking when going down hill, when you turn at the top (positioning for the down hill stripe) after getting lined up proceed down the slope SLOWLY, if correction to your line is needed do it by braking the appropriate wheel (not accelerating)..As you gain experience you will be able to pick up the speed - T-Bar best by far IMHO.
  8. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

no, it's not a hydro, it's belt drive. and it's this years model, i just got it a month ago and finally can play with it. the hill in question is not one i have to mow, just me trying to see what it can do. and no, this was not done with a sulky. i find this to be a great disadvantage compared to other mowers i have run.
    so even on a yard with a slight slope, the mower would gradually pick up speed on the way down and i would be required to manually add resistance...

LAWNS AND MOWER LawnSite Bronze Member

Trust me, once you get used to the T-Bar, you'll love it. Pistol grips will work your wrists in the worst way.
  10. ToG

ToG LawnSite Member

hope so. i can see the advantages, i just need to learn how to finess the machine..