Downrating A Trailer's Gross Weight

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by JContracting, Mar 26, 2013.

1. JContracting

JContracting LawnSite Bronze Member

I'd like to drop my single axle 6x10 trailer rated at 3500 lb to a reduced number (basically a different sticker I'd think?), otherwise for it to be up to MN DOT Regs and pass an inspection, it'd have to have brakes which is not worth the trouble installing on a trailer this small, I'd like to keep using the trailer though as it works perfect for my maintenance (mowing, fert/weed control, aerating) services.
    Has anyone done this?

2. knox gsl

knox gsl LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm not sure you can at this point but brakes may be cheaper in the long run when you factor in time of effort to get it derated. I added brakes to an axle a while back for less than $200.

3. JContracting

Where did you get your brakes from?
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. djagusch

djagusch LawnSite Platinum Member
    from MN

Just get brakes. The mfg sets the gvwr not anyone else. I needed to add brakes also. I paid a shop to do it in grantsburg, wi. I would call brian at central trailer sales in east bethel, mn and see what he quotes.

Only other thing is to sell the trailer and buy one rated at 3k.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. knox gsl

6. JContracting

What was the size, type, etc on that first link knox?
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. knox gsl

The one that fits a 3500lb axle is 10". The kit comes with wire and hardware, you'll need to get a break away kit ( the second link) to satisfy the DOT standards. BTW the MNDOT sucks. This will take about 2 hours to put together and you'll have your yearly trailer maintenance completed at the same time.