Downside?

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by BostonBull, Mar 18, 2009.

1. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I am wondering if there are any downsides to leveling off parts of my yard with compost instead of loam? I also am making two new small planting areas, and was planning on taking the top 6"+ of current soil away, and backfilling with compost instead of loam. What issues may arise from this? Any?

2. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

SOM degenerates over time

3. BostonBull

BostonBull LawnSite Senior Member

I am glad I asked this amateur question then. I will just top dress the lawn, andd mix in an inch or two of compost into the new planting areas before planting.......

4. JDUtah

JDUtah LawnSite Silver Member
    from UT

That's what I would do... otherwise you could end up with waves in the lawn. if you can assure an even distribution (and till in) of the compost it would do good.

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

When I design planting areas/beds, I always leave 3-5 inches for mulch and the inevitable buildup of soil over time.

Leveling should be done with topsoil.

6. quackgrass

quackgrass LawnSite Senior Member

I would use a 50/50 blend of compost and topsoil. Compost alone won't have any sand particles. You want at least 10% sand because the grass will be able to establish a better root zone if it has sand particles to anchor to.

You also want the topsoil to provide some structure, especially when it gets soggy.

The grass will germinate and grow much better if it isn't a straight compost, you need some soil with a little sand.

7. ICT Bill

ICT Bill LawnSite Platinum Member

I agree with mixing with top soil, if you have an extending wet period compost has a hard time drying out right away and roots can literally rot in an all compost mix