Downsides to buying above CDL single axel?

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by 1toomanyhobbies, Jun 15, 2011.

1. jimmyjack

jimmyjack LawnSite Senior Member

your painting with a big brush .......air brakes arent a big of a pain as u make them seem, you need a 9/16 wrench and 5 mins to adjust them , hours in service is only if you work outside a 100 mile radius from your yard.... and with the apportioned plates you only need that if your planing on travel outside your home state ,otherwise you can register it like you would any other truck

2. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

It's always true. (unless hauling hazmat or passengers)

Towing over 10k may put you in CDL land but only if the CGVWR is over 26k. Your buddy with the f450 and trailer was likely over 26k as well.

3. jimmyjack

true , ok let me try this again .....say your out with a 1/2 or 3/4 ton pick up mostly likely your not pulling a trailer much over 10k so TRUE your not going to have a CGVWR over 26k and if you did your most likely over the mfg gvw for the truck......but alot of guys on here have 1 tons and thats when you float around that magic number..... thats all im trying to say is that when people say you can tow over 10k its only half true

4. Duffster

Duffster LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

If you would look back to post #9 you will see that I said you don't need a CDL to tow 10k. So this over 10k and over 26k don't really mean sh!t anyway.

5. jimmyjack

well.... i guess i read it to quick:hammerhead: the first time

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes LawnSite Fanatic

I see someone addressed this already, but when you don't know what you're talking about, you may just want to remain quiet.

Air brakes do not need to be adjusted all the time.

I have one truck that meets CDL requirements by itself that isn't apportioned, how does that work? I have several truck\trailer combos that make CDL's a requirement, and no apportionments on any of them? But I'm legal.

Hours of service, sure, but not a logbook.

What you fail to realize, is that many truck\trailer combos already require what you are saying, nothing to do with the size truck.

I bet you think that any truck that has airbrakes requires a CDL too, right?

Salesman is an idiot. You can plate anything for whatever you want, but CDL requirements go by GVW, as stated. Not the plate.

Of course, if you want to do this, and decide to load the truck up over the 26K, you can get an overweight ticket even though the truck might be under the GVWR.

Nice to see someone has a clue.

Troopers are just about by and large as ignorant of the laws as Congress.

Agreed.