1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Downspout drainage install

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by plumbguy, Dec 27, 2007.

1. plumbguy

plumbguy LawnSite Member

trunk line for a gutter drainage system

2. dave k

dave k LawnSite Bronze Member

Thats the way to go, you wouldn't believe how many people use the black flex pipe, PVC is the only way. Nice job!
  3. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Looks good , man - I have had cases where the original installer used flex pipe and crushed it when back filling the ditch .
  4. BrandonV

BrandonV LawnSite Platinum Member

i applaud you for using pvc, its the sign of a true professional.
  5. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

I did a project like this summer before last for my 30 x 50 garage.
    What size pipe did you use?

There was barely enough slope between the garage and the ditch behind it so I had to use 3 inch pipe as 4'' would not have allowed enough slope for draining and the back fill over it would have been to shallow.

== L B ==
  6. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

is that sch. 40?
  7. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

It just about looks like it.
  8. lb59

lb59 LawnSite Member

I use either one and at times I use them in combination depending on the application and the intended purpose of the project.

The biggest advantage of flex is the much lower cost factor.
    I've never had problems with it crushing.
    It is a little more difficult to get it laid without sags and humps due to it being so flexible.
    The real problem with the flex pipe is it is very prone to trapping leaves in side and clogging up inside with the leaves and you can't call Roto-Rooter to clean it out because it will tear up the soft thin pipe.
    My solution to that problem is don't let the leaves in the drain.

The advantage of PVC is it's rigidity makes it easier to lay without getting sags and humps in the line, it's less prone to getting plugged with leaves and if it does you can call Roto Rooter.
  9. Dirt Digger2

Dirt Digger2 LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

hate to see the bill on a job with all sch.40. we use thinwall wherever we can and SDR 35 in deeper areas...only time we use sch. 40 is if we have to compact the fill because a driveway or sidewalk is going over it

personally i like sch 40 more though, the fittings are a lot more stable and secure and it comes in 20 foot lengths
  10. plumbguy

plumbguy LawnSite Member

Yes, thats 6 inch sch 40.. sometimes I use 4 inch, it just depends on the load I'm catching.
    I also purple prime and solvent weld each joint.
    Since I am a plumber it just kinda goes with the territory. I like doing this more than plumbing.

I cant believe some company's use corrugated, that stuff sucks, Its nice to be around like minded professionals.
    I catch the down spouts with 4x6 bell reducers and I employ custom (for each individual application) sch 80 drain basins with varying weirs
    with hinged, pedestrian or traffic rated removable grates. these drains and drain systems will not clog and will handle the 100 year storm.
    I had a customer who had the black flexi crap that ran under a retaining wall and was joined with duct tape. The joint leaked and washed the soil
    from under the cross tie wall and caused it to sag really bad to the point it got replaced.