1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by neighborguy, Sep 12, 2001.

1. neighborguy

neighborguy LawnSite Member

I Am in the process of completing a patio that invovled burying the downspouts from the house and running them below grade to a lower point in the yard. THe problem that I have is the downspouts are 3" X 4" and the only connectors that I can find to connect to a 4" PVC pipe is a 2" X "3". anyone out there have any ideas if there is a product that I can use to reduce this size? If so any information about where to call would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
  2. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

I've had that same problem before. I hunted at all of the hardware stores & did find reducers that work. You just have to search a little harder. If not, you can "crush" the end that needs to fit into the 2"-3" by cutting some slits into the end and bending the sides in to fit.
  3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

The 2x3 is common, so you can always find the adapters for them. 3x4 adapter is also made, just need to find a good hardware store or landscape supplier.
  4. paul

paul Lawnsite Addict

Try a pipe supply or pipe manufacter
  5. diginahole

diginahole LawnSite Member

You could try a bit of mortar around the downspout wher it meets the PVC. We do it like that, looks neat and tidy.

XOFMOT LawnSite Member

I had this same situation at my home last year. I looked high and low and couldn't find the larger size. What I winded up doing was to get a 4" ID rubber boot, it looks like a REAL BIG radiator hose, it comes with worm gear clamps on the ends and was aprox. 15" long. It is used to connect to 4" OD pipes together. It may not have been the correct way to solve the problem, but it sure works great! Good Luck!

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

You can use concrete by using 5" pvc pipe as a mold. make the shape you need out of the pvc and cut out a slit on the top side of the form. then pour the concrete around the joint. use duct tape around the joint to keep the concrete out of your drainpipe.
    you can add color to the concrete to make it blend with the house or landscape.
    It helps to score the bottom of the form so you can break it in half to remove it.
  8. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

9. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

a bit off topic here... does your climate have freezing temps?.

Here with all the thaw , freeze cycles the only way to have a setup like your describing is to also make sure you can disconnect it , above ground, when winter arrives. If not the pipe will just freeze and backup, causing problems.

ERIC ROBERGE LawnSite Member

Freezing temps are not much of a problem here in Atlanta,Ga. if we do get freezing temps it is at night and temps warm up during the day. We dont get much in the way of frozen precip down here so frozen down spouts are not a problem.
    However, your right. You folks up north might run into a problem with that setup. I am sure it wouldnt be hard to come up with some sort of solution.
    I have lived here all my life and the most snow I have seen is 6 inches. Thats just enough to get the dirt bike out and make some mud.