dozer blade on mower?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by gravtyklz, Jan 24, 2006.

1. gravtyklz

gravtyklz LawnSite Member

Has anyone used a Garden Tractor Lawn Mower with a dozer blade settup before?

I was wondering if I put some weight on the dozer blade, used chains, and wheele weights......would this be productive at all?

I figured it would be decent to maybe push snow with sometimes too?

2. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

When I ran one on my old Allis Chalmers Big 10, I used wheel weights on the rear wheels, and used the lift for down pressure. I also had ag tread tires on the rear to help with traction. It did well except for on dry ground, where it would get a fair amount of wheel spin if you didn't regulate the power just right.

3. NIXRAY

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, I've Used Many L/G Tractors With 'dozer' Blades Just Make Shure
    You Always Keep It In Low And Check The Trans' Fluid And Never Use
    "disposable" L/G Tractors.

4. bradd

bradd LawnSite Member

hey NIXRAY
    im in walker michigan im brad im 16 and own and run brads lawn care i currently mow 9 lawns well get back to me soon tttul brad

5. Stafford Landscaping

Stafford Landscaping LawnSite Member

I don't know if this helps, but when I was little my dad had a sears lawn tractor about 18hp he used it with a front blade and a turning plow and rippers. He used chains and weights but just not enough bite to the ground. So he took a piece of steel pipe same diameter as the wheel and same width and the welded cleats on the pipe. He deflated the tire and sliped the pipe over the tire then aired it back up. So you had the weighted rear tire and good traction but the only draw back was you couldn't run it on Concrete or asphalt. It's an Idea for more traction but don't know if it's practical for your application.

6. Splicer

Splicer LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, yes I do:weightlifter: AG's all around ad the rears are fluid filled...The blade weighs 117lbs.Electric Lift raises/lowers the blade. It is plenty heavy.

Brush Guard Installation 007.jpg

7. zim bob the landscaper

zim bob the landscaper LawnSite Bronze Member

that is a awesome set up u got there i like it all i got is a snow blade.

8. Smalltimer1

Smalltimer1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Is yours a gear drive or hydro? How big is the front blade?

I prefer to use a heavier unit like my JD 300 or my Ford LGT-165 because they have hydraulic lift and hydrostatic drive and the transmissions are shaft driven. I am currently looking for a 48" hydraulic front blade for the 300. I already have a 48" front blade for the Ford and it is a unitary style lift on it, using the middle lift cylinder to lift/lower instead of a separate remote cylinder on the blade itself like JD does but I like the JD setup better.

My old AC Big 10 I had last year was a belt drive and I knew it when it got to a big pile, it would lose traction (even w/ags and 50lb. cast iron wheel weights and my 290lb body on it) and spin.

9. Splicer

It is a hydro trans and does wonderfuly. The blade is 48" wide by 16" tall with dual trip springs. I didn't like the lever to raise lower the blade/mower deck so I installed a Warn electric actuator.

Unfortunately I did not get to plow any snow so I ordered 5 1/2 tons of gravel and rerocked my drive with it.

Becky Working 002.jpg

10. Splicer

The actuator.

Elec. Actuator Installation 019.jpg