Dozer Question....

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by thepawnshop, Jun 15, 2006.

1. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

I have an area that is 200' wide and has soil that is approximately 12' high and needs to be moved about 175'. I was going to get an Deere 655 track loader to move the material, but a good frien of mine suggested using a dozer for the task. I would be using a Deere 750 if I go that way.

Does a dozer sound like a better fit for this task?

2. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

Thats alot of material to move a dozer could do it but its not going to beable to push that much material that easy. You might be better off with a excavator and a truck or couple trucks. You can get on top of the material and start scooping and loading trucks. What is the soil is it hard and compact or is it loose is this overburden your trying to move ?

A contractor friend of the familly is taking on a job they have to remove about the same depth you have to remove but it covers almost a acre of land. They are using one excavator and two 30 ton articulated trucks.

If you had a carry dozer like a D-8 that would move the material quick a regular dozer is gonna have to take that off in lifts.

Without pictures its hard to tell you what kind of ideas we can give :)

3. thepawnshop

thepawnshop LawnSite Senior Member

My friend thinks he can do it in 6" lifts and can be done within three days. I'll take some pics tomorrow. It is actually my personal lot that I am building our new house on. The lot is a dog, but I plan on making it at least into a show dog.

Due to road limitations, a D6 size machine is the largest we can get back there.

Even though it is my personal property, I can't jutify the articulated trucks. The reason we are only moving it a short distance is because my lot drops off in the back and we are going to fill that area in with this material, which by the way, is very powdery...not much clay or rock.

I already have a 120 size machine on the site and will have it for a few more weeks. We also have JD CTL 332 and 322 on site as well.

4. Squizzy246B

Squizzy246B LawnSite Senior Member

G,day Doug, we just knocked out about 1400 yd3's the same distance you are talking to level a 1 & 1/2 acre lot. We used a 938 loader and did the push out in two days. Now, and I know this take some understanding for those who don't have broad experience; but digging/pushing the sand out is hard going because you lack traction...so its no faster than a lot of other stuff. Loam is the best because you can put the power down.

My choice would be the track loader and push as you would with the dozer. Anytime your pushing downhill you will move stuff faster than any other method (save for blasting) for comparitive sized machines. And...and some will laugh...but if you had say 4 days to burn...you will shift a sh*tload of material with your little tracked JD. We once pushed out over 450 yd3 in a day with a RC 100 and it wasn't so hard.

Good Luck..just my HO

5. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

If time isn't a issue then you can work your way at it with a smaller machine. If you had a 963 Cat sized track loader you should beable to scoop and travel with the material. The 963 I ran last year would take a good bucket full with ease which is surprising the machine was well worn. It dug better than the backhoe the track loader kept pushing.

You can use a excavator with a clean up bucket and chuck the material that will take a long time but its another option.

Why don't you sell some of the material is it good topsoil or is it mixed dirt you could get 80 dollars per 12 yard load.

6. tylermckee

tylermckee LawnSite Member
    from wa

Just get the dozer and start pushing, it wont take you that long, you'll be amazed at the amount of material you can push in a day

7. Construct'O

Construct'O LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Sw Iowa

Doug loaders are loaders they do best for loading that is why they call them loaders.

Dozers are dozers that is why they are called dozers.Since i have used dozer for 31 years i'm a dozer fan.So i like using dozers and they are more universial then people on here think.

Start dozing in a slat that way the dirt isn't running around you blade so bad cut the full length of your building pad.Get it down to the grade you want, then move over and start another slat.

If you wanted you could use your ctl to clean up the loose dirt or cut out the edge between slats.

Getting the slat down to the right grade makes it easy to know where you are then all you have to do is use that cut to go by for the next slat.

If your site is 200' you could cut one on each of the outsides and one through the middle then all you have to do is cut the dirt out in between the graded slat.Saves you time checking thing and getting off the machine wondering if you down to where you need to be.

If your just leveling the lot it isn't as bad as building site where it has to be down to the tenths.

So with that good luck !!!!!!!!!!

8. janb

janb LawnSite Senior Member

I might as well jump in too... Trackloaders can push quite a large volume of soft stuff with bucket, I often use the 4:1 as a metered scaper (open slightly) it just keeps rolling the dirt in front of you when bucket fills. I have very grippy street pads, worn out ones can lose traction (or mine too, in mud...)

Another advantage is that you can use as loader when necessary, and with creative cutting, they can contour pretty well too. 4:1 with teeth makes a good 'combo' digger / finish machine. (they are usually easier to find and cheaper to rent than 6-way dozer... but they are a bit 'dated...') See if you can find a 650 or 850 Case; the proportional steering (powered clutches, not brakes) is very fast and effective when pushing heavy loads on loose ground.

9. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

that 750 and 120 hoe is all you need.

also the larger the dozer the easier it is to grade.

10. mastercraft

mastercraft LawnSite Member

A Deere 750 is a big powerfull dozer. You should have no trouble whatsoever moving that dirt. Just set up some slots as mentioned and you will be good to go!