Dr Alex Shigo died today.

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Az Gardener, Oct 9, 2006.

1. Az Gardener

Az Gardener LawnSite Gold Member

I just got in and checked my e mails to find Shigo has died this morning. For those of you who don't know the name he was the father of modern Arborculture. He dissected trees, studied all parts of the tree from the roots to the canopy and really changed the industry standards. As a young forest ranger he climbed into the canopy and tied himself to the trunks of trees during storms to study how they moved. A real pioneer in the industry he will be missed. He apparently he fell down some steps and hit his head and never regained conciseness.

2. MarkintheGarden

MarkintheGarden LawnSite Bronze Member

I have a book he wrote and recall talking about him in horticulture class, my professor said of him that he could read tree rings and tell you detailed information regarding the trees invironment, such as temperature highs and lows and rainfall amounts.

He will be missed, I am sorry I never met him.

3. Grassmechanic

Grassmechanic LawnSite Silver Member

I attended MANY seminars of Dr. Shigo's. He will be greatly missed in the arborculture community. Thanks for sharing this with us AZ Gardener.