1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

DR Brush mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MowForReal, Jul 10, 2001.

1. MowForReal

MowForReal LawnSite Member

Does anyone have the DR field and brush mower? Is it all it's said to be? Please don't speculate. Thanks.
  2. Chopper Lover

Chopper Lover LawnSite Senior Member

I have a friend that owns a DR like you are asking about. He said it does very well for brush and similar objects (homeowner use only). He also pointed out it leaves a bit to be desired when it comes to mowing lawns. It is just not a "finish" type of mower.

If you have any specific questions e-mail me and I will ask him when I see him later this week.

3. I have owned the older version 8HP and now the newer line 15HP. Either will do what they say it will. It's a good machine for small occasional jobs if you can charge enough to make it worth your while. But it is too slow for big jobs and not rugged enough for heavy or continuous use.
  4. steve

steve LawnSite Member

Here's the specs from they're website.
    Variable speed hydrostatic drive transaxle.
    Heavy duty, 1 1/4" steel blade spindle.
    Cast steel blade spindle housing.
    Heavy duty side discharge deflector.
    3/8" laminated steel deck.
    10-gauge steel frame and mowing/mulching deck.

Looks like a lot heavier duty machine than the DR!:D

Giant Vac Website [​IMG]
  5. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I have seen the Giant Vac and the DR..The Giant Vac is a heavier machine but I don't like all the bars on the handle. The DR is not made of thick enough material. The one I saw was an older model but it had a lot of rewelded spots on the machine. The pictures on TV look impressive but in reality most over grown areas have rough tarraine to manuver over and would need a rugged machine.

6. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I have the DR mower (same running gear, motor, etc. I believe but it is a 46" mower w/ 12.5 Tecumseh engine). The machine is light (plastic deck) elec start, mows fairly well. The reason we bought is that my 12 year old son who is 75 lbs wanted a walk behind. He was able to handle this machine due to its light weight. I don't know about the brush machine/trimmer setup.
    It has been very dependable but the plastic deck probably wouldn't hold up to heavy duty use.