DR Brush Mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by hboyd_com, Jul 10, 2003.

1. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

I have 2 acres of brush/woods that I want to mow. This is my own property, not for a client.

I am looking at the DR commercial brush mower (17hp/30") and I wondered if anyone had any real experience with the DR products. I like the DR because I can also get a snowblower and blade for it.

I figure it might be another service I could offer in addition to using on my own property.

Any opinions will be appreciated!

Thanks!

2. Jimbo

Jimbo LawnSite Bronze Member

I have often thought about it but the more I watch those movies the more it looks like the guy is struggling to manage the thing. Never used one myself.

Jimbo

3. nelbuts

nelbuts LawnSite Bronze Member
    from SW, FL

One word................DON'T!

4. gr8pyrs

gr8pyrs LawnSite Member
    from PA

I've had a DR field & Brush for about 5 years now with
    15 hp Kawi and have not really had problem one with it as of yet.

I use it about 50 or so hrs per year on the underbrush on a wooded lot.

The newer units are improved over mine with a brake and the interchangeable heads.

Mine is just a brush grinder and anything that it can push over....gone. I have taken it into saplings as big as 1-1/2" to 2" with no problems.

Minimal maintenance and easy adjustments on those parts that do need it.
    I've found their customer service team and staff to be very helpful and knowledgeable on the few times I have had to deal with them.

I have other products of theirs and the same results there positive.

When you talk to them ask for any "returned" units. I got mine at a reduced price with full factory warranty. They are used but mine only had a 4" scratch on the top of the deck. Everything else looked out of the box new. In 15 minutes I put a bunch more scratches on it.

Russ

5. CMerLand

CMerLand LawnSite Senior Member

Boyd

Not sure where in PA you are located but I used to rent a unit from Modern equipment rentals when I used to have to cut a few basins three times a year. Might want to check into that rather then purchase an item and then go shopping for work.

Good luck

6. hboyd_com

hboyd_com LawnSite Member
    from PA

gr8pyrs - Thank you for your opinions. I expect to need one for about 80 hours a year with brush and then whatever time is necessary for snow. It was good to hear from someone who actually has one! In there literature they mention that they have returned units (from their 6 months free - return it if you are unsatisfied promotion) but they only discount them 5%... which is not a lot of money.

nelbuts - Please explain your detailed answer!

CMerLand - I'm near Pittsburgh and no one that I have found around here rents one.... however, my neighbor told me he has one but I don't know what size it is yet.
    I'm hoping to get some time behind his before I make a decision.

Jimbo - The movie is pretty funny... that older woman is practically running behind it with a big smile on her face. But I don't share your opinion.

Thanks to all!

7. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I would also recommend that you check into an older Gravely walk behind with a 30" deck for all of your rough mowing tasks. All of the parts are still available for Gravely tractors and there are over 50 different attachments you can buy. Some of the attachments are rotary mowers, rotary plows, snow blades, snow throwers, and tillers.etc. Ebay would be a good starting point to check prices and attachments.

Gravely_Man

8. jaredslawncare

jaredslawncare LawnSite Member

I love mine, never had any problems with it, but i never used it commercially, just around my moms house.

9. Rhett

Rhett LawnSite Bronze Member

Have had the misfortune to use about every piece of equipment except the brush mower. All of my expierence has been bad. Mowers that cut like ----. Chippers that would not sharpen a pencil. NO THANKS

10. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

This is what the rental yards around here carry, but I've never used a WB brush mower other than a sicle bar one.

http://www.billygoat.com/frame_outback.html

P.S. Check out the "tough jobs" video. They run over a cinder block with it and keep going!!!