DR Brush mowers worth the $ or not?

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Dugann, Jun 20, 2007.

1. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

How many of you guys use DR brush mowers?

We do a lot of property reclaiming and foreclosures for some real estate companies and private folks as well. I have a old 7Hp DR scout. It dose almost everything I need, but I am thinking of getting a new version and a larger one commercial grade. Worth it or not? or would I be better off buying a tractor and brush hog?

Just thought I would see what you all think?

Thanks

Dugann
    Dugan Lawn & Services

2. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know how much a big DR would cost you, but you might consider a gray-market japanese tractor & bush hog. You can find them all over; I got a 24 hp tractor with under 500 hours, plus a 5' tiller, and a new 5' bush hog and a new disc, for about $4400. You can probably get a smaller tractor with 4' bush hog in the low $3000 range.

3. Dugann

Dugann LawnSite Member

Thanks for the info had not thought about that. I have heard good things about those Japanese tractors. and a bigger DR starts at around 2200-2400 so seems that I would be better off going the tractor line and use what I have with the old DR. Thanks for the light bulb.

4. Bert's Landscaping

Bert's Landscaping LawnSite Member

One thing to think about with those Japanese tractors is how easy is to get parts. I looked into those tractors but I have heard horror stories on getting parts. For the price you might not care and once it breaks get something else.

5. SiteSolutions

SiteSolutions LawnSite Bronze Member

I would definitely consider that, although in my area there are a couple big time dealers who have / can get parts, and maybe 5 or 10 retired guys just fixing up a few at a time to stay busy and make a little money. Mine's been great and for part time or medium duty use I would readily recommend it. If full-time production and a lot of heavy use are what you are looking for, you can probably afford a new Kubota or John Deere anyway.

6. DOLMARatOS

DOLMARatOS LawnSite Member

Try looking at the Snapper, Simplicity, Ferris brush-cutters. WAY heavier than the Dr. units. Also have REAL dealer support. Hydrostatic drive and haevy duty cutting.

7. B. L. Landscaping

B. L. Landscaping LawnSite Member

I have a 17hp DR and I love it it works great for cutting brush and over grown lawns it has paid for itself more than once.

8. KTO Enterprises

KTO Enterprises LawnSite Bronze Member

Depends on area. Here I keep a 43 hp John Deere busy. I just bought a new 4120 in late april and already have almost 100 hours on it. Very worth having a tractor to me.