DR Trimmer?

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by Team-Green L&L, Aug 2, 2006.

1. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

If you're looking to purchase a piece of equipment of this type, I would highly recommend looking into one of the quality makes from one of the more commercial type companies.

3. Team-Green L&L

I was looking at the commercial grade machine for $2000.00.

4. FearThisDeere

FearThisDeere LawnSite Bronze Member

I rented a Billy Goat which is DR knockoff I think. Does pretty good, but I would try to find something a little more heavy duty. It gets stuck easy when wet, it is a pain to shift from forward to reverse, and the three forward gears are first and second are too slow while third is way to fast. The one I rent has to reinforced welds where the factory weld broke. It has a B&S engine which I have no complaints about. Personally, I like my 5' deck mower better!:weightlifter:

5. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

DR does not make anything close to a commercial machine. Their brush trimmer is a light duty machine designed for occasional use by a homeowner.
    I know a guy here who had 2 of them to do city code enforcement mowing. One was being used, while the second stayed in the repair shop. Not reliable at all. Parts are also hard to get, sometimes taking as long as 2 weeks from the factory.
    The only machine like these that is really built stout, is the Gravely 2 wheel tractor with a 30" mowing deck. You can often find Kohler-powered Gravelys on Ebay at reasonable prices.

6. RedWolf

RedWolf Banned

the DR is junk.When i get some time i`ll take some pics of my KutKwick.Its is built like a tank and cuts 5 foot tall brush and grass.I am going to pull it apart and repaint it this winter when is slows down.

7. Team-Green L&L

Thanks, this is the reason we were looking at them (city code enforcement). Any better suggestions with ballpark pricing?

8. Mowingman

from Texas

Used, Gravely 2 wheel tractor with the Kohler engine and a 30" brush hog mower. A sickle bar mower is also handy to have. Parts are still available for the tractor, mower, and engine. There are lots of those Gravelys that come up for sale in your part of the country. you can get a really nice one for anywhere from $800.00 - $2000.00. Check Ebay, Gravely dealers in your area, or advertise for one on gravelytractorclub@yahoogroups.com

We do code mowing using our 61" Grasshopper ZTR, a Gravely 2 wheel tractor/30" mower, and a 32" Gravely walkbehind. Have not found anything those 3 mowers will not take down.

9. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Those old 2 wheeled tractors are unstoppable. Do they have a sickle bar mower that went on the front of those? Yep, that's right...they do. Those sickle bars are funny things. They cut through stuff with such great ease, but yet cut everything down so clean. Who else was it that had a sickle bar mower out not too long ago,...was it Billygoat? I'll look around some websites and see what I can come up with.

10. Mowingman

from Texas

I think BCS makes a sicklebar mower for their tractor.
    I actually have 3 Gravely tractors that are all over 35 years old. I have 1945, 1957, and a 1971 model tractors. All with the old style Gravely/Studebaker engines. They just keep running and running.