1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drafix Pro Landscape - Your Results

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Can-Do Lawn Care, Jan 28, 2007.

1. Can-Do Lawn Care

Can-Do Lawn Care LawnSite Member

I am seriously interested in this program. I have watched the DVD and read all the information available on it and I'm definitely impressed. After doing some year end number crunching, my goal for 2007 is to do at least $50k of landscape installs. I think this program may be a key to helping me reach that goal.
    What I would like to see is your real-world results: designs, and completed project pictures. I want to see what landscapers like myself have accomplished with the program not just what Drafix's advertising team puts out.
    I think someone a while back asked for something similar w/out any results. I'm not interested in stealing designs. If that's your concern just put a watermark or something on it. I just want to see real world results.
  2. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

I use the image editor version of the program. It is great in selling projects although the program itself has many flaws and short comings.

For a few examples
    - The project timer (in the planner) causes the program to crash. When I called about this problem they said they recommend not using the timer. No fix available. Not fixed in newer versions either (but the timer is still in the program).

- One option is to print a description of each plant in the design for your client. However this print out rarely includes all the plants. (there is no way to manually change the list) Either way, the descriptions have severe grammatical errors. In|some|cases|they|use|these|instead|of|spaces. It is a real pain to have to go through and fix all their careless mistakes.

- There are several things that Drafix has "improved" since my version (11) so I will not comment on those aspects since I haven't used the "improved" editions. But I will say that usability of the program is not what I expect from a $1500 program.
  3. lawnMaster5000

lawnMaster5000 LawnSite Senior Member

Thought you might find this interesting. I can't imagine a $25 program would be comparable, but you never know.

Click on the picture below to see some of my designs. I export the image from ProLandscape as a JPEG and open it with PowerPoint. In PowerPoint I add the before picture and my logo. I dont like the crappy options ProLandscape has for inserting those items.
  4. ACutAbovesiny

ACutAbovesiny LawnSite Senior Member

I use the Punch!Master program version 12 and its good for some things. I have the whole version thts cost $80 though...you can build a house from scratch, decks, pools, patios. Its very versatile. I like the 3D images and the image library is amazing-like 800,000 images.
  5. yamadooski

yamadooski LawnSite Senior Member

I tried the Punch Master and a few of the others from Office Depot.
    All them crashed my computer somehow.
    Took them all back got store credit.

Bought Draffix and works great but I crashed it 2 times in one night.
    I think I was working to fast and it couldnt keep up and I over clicked a few to many items.

If you do get Draffix I would suggest taking the 2 day class to learn it.

Im only using about 35% of it. I was told to take the class and have signed up for one in Feb.
  6. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

The key to Pro Landscape or any other "Design" program is ease of use, speed and presentation. The 3D imaging will NOT look exactly like the installation. The 3D imaging is an excellent way to get your idea across to your client. Very few folks know and understand how to read a plan, so don't expect your clients to make sense of them. The use of 3D imaging allows you to use their home or yard as a background for the ideas and intentions you have. Sizing, color, exact plant matches are not going to happen with any program, but the client will have a better understanding of what you are talking about. The imaging will also allow you to add night lighting effects which should but a compulsory segment of your designs. You will be amazed at the desire for lighting because of this.

The drawing tool is only that, a drafting tool for creating plan views. Nothing more than a digital pencil. You must have the skills and knowledge necessary to create a good design, or no drawings, colored or photo-realistic will make a difference. The drawing tool, after much practice and suggested education can speed up your design process and make changes very simple to complete. If you lack quality drafting skills, software can be a big help for whomever will be doing the installation.

If your goal is to increase your closings and upgrade your jobs, Pro Landscape will definitely help. I would suggest you also look into a plant encyclopedia program called Horticopia. It will give you and your clients tremendous plant data and photos and make a big improvement on the "right plant, right place" theory.
    I use Pro Landscape on a regular basis, but I use Horticopia daily!

If you would like to contact me to see some 3D images, I designed, and the installations done by contractors I work with, please do.

7. Tim Wright

Tim Wright LawnSite Bronze Member

I have PUNCH and Better Homes Landscape and Deck Design Programs.

The thing that I cannot get to work properly in either of them is importing the digital image of the clients home and designing around it. They are just too illogical for this, which is why I would and will pay the extra for Draffix.

And the cheaper programs are not overly easy to use.

I am very software literate as I use video editing, photoshop, and Macromedia design software all the time, and those programs are very in depth, or whatever, so if I cannot get a landscape design software program its design is not that great. That is my simple opinion.

8. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

You would be pleased with the ease of use with Pro Landscape. The 3D imaging is intuitive. Taking the 2 day class this fall opened up more features and uses I had not discovered yet, and they just released a new version. With every version, they are listening to and accommodating their users, As with ant software, there are glitches and things users may want to do differently, but for the money and the return, I believe Drafix Pro Landscape is the best value. I am no different then my clients in wanting value and results from my hard earned money.

9. alternative

alternative LawnSite Senior Member

I have version 12 and the damn thing CRASHES constantly. I hate when this happens and you didnt save.
    I love the program itself, and its functions. It is pricey, but well worth it.
    I just wish they would get the glitches out so it doesnt crash so often.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES LawnSite Senior Member

question guys...Are all these crashes part of a Drafix problem, or are some of you using older computers with slow processors, little memory or small video cards. Just curious. Not pointing fingers, just trying to make an educated decision about the program.