Drag ideas

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by ToroMaster, Aug 14, 2005.

1. ToroMaster

ToroMaster LawnSite Member
    from Neenah

i need ideas from people that install lawns that need to use a drag to make a perfectly smooth lawn. after using the harley rake i always have areas that need to be smoothed out. right now i use two large chains behind my lawn mowers but that sucks.

2. Mancinioldhorse

Mancinioldhorse LawnSite Member

I used an old stripped box spring mattress...throw an old tire on it and it works just fine.

3. out4now

out4now LawnSite Bronze Member
    from AZ

When I did baseball fields I used one that was made out of large threaded bolts run down through Iron. It was actually a tray looking device that could could a 55 gallon drum that had been sawed in half that sat on top of it on its side or weights. (I used to place the bags of gypsum I needed to line with on top) It had two eyelets on the front of the drag itself with a chain connected to those and I'd weight it to drive the needles deeper and just flip it over to smooth with draging the chain from a ball hitch on a small truck. Filled in low spots well and so forth. Someone else built it and the only thing I would have changed would have been the chain to a drawbar so I could back up with it if I wanted to. Still used a screen drag to finish with before play.

4. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

weld a small frame attachment to it and they work pretty well for picking up medium size rocks and you can just "shake them out" in a corner to be picked up later.

5. orionkf

orionkf LawnSite Member

How about a section of old chain link fencing, with weights? Never tried it, just an idea.

6. Ric

Ric LawnSite Fanatic

orionkf

I have had good luck with the chain link fence. I use two RR Ties with the fence in between I also use Cinder blocks on the first few rounds for extra weight.

If there is a lot of dirt to level out, I will flip the RR ties so the fence is on top and pull it like a box blade to level the ground.

7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I drag a harrow rake on the infields and warning tracks. It is 2 directional. You pull it one way and the ^ shaped prongs dig in and the drag stands up a bit. You pull it the other direction and they lay down and it runs smoother.
    http://www.wikco.com/Harrow.html

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

those harrow rakes are really nice. we used one when we had our motocross track... worked fantastic..