Drag race anyone?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by sweetland, Apr 9, 2012.

1. Landscraper1

Landscraper1 LawnSite Senior Member
    Male, from Southeastern Ma.

If they can bend the truth on their claims, then they can also bend it on thier specs.

Have another landscaper down the street that uses Cheetahs. Road my Super Z down to his shop for a quick 100 yd dash. Guess who won, twice. Even he was surprised when I old him that the Cheetah is spec to be faster.

2. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

Sorry Let put this way mid mount Hydro mower Show me a picture of your mid 90s that will out run The mid 90s DC in the vid
    From web site says 2001 when had the hydro models midmounts

3. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

Correct. 2010 or newer. The one in the video is a 2010 model, and not that it would have made it any slower really, but it is the only one hauling a 72" deck in that group.

There is a video I have seen several times on Youtube that shows some people racing various Scags against each other, and in one of them they say that the Cheetah GPS's at 17 MPH, but it obviously can't get to that speed (if at all) in the short distances this race was run. Clearly the Hustler was faster on the distances run here, and if the Cheetah actually can hit 17 MPH, it won't be doing it on anyone's lawn, because the guys in the vid had a quarter mile or more of wide open running to do it on. Not many lawns have that long a stretch of straight mowing to do.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2012
  4. mowerconsultant

mowerconsultant LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Syracuse, NY

We have had mid mount hydraulic drive mowers since the mid to late 80's, the 250, 251, 260 and 261 series, and also front mount ZTR units since 64, all hydraulic since 67.
    Early 90's we had the 2500 series mid mount hydraulic drive mower and it was a fast unit.
    Let me see if I can dig up some pics.

Pj

5. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

1993 Excel / Hustler 2500 series mower.
    We made the 2500 series until 1999.

[​IMG]

Late 90's 260K series of mowers, this series started in 1988 actually.

[​IMG]

This is a original 251 with a newer engine someone put on it.
    This unit was produced in 1988

[​IMG]

These are all midmount mowers built in the 80's and 90's.

6. pvbooner

pvbooner LawnSite Member
    from indiana

Who cares how fast you can go if you can't do a good job mowing grass. This year I had to decide on a new mower. I had it narrowed down the the cheetah and the super z. I loved the way the super was built and the hydro system was awesome. In the end I ended up going with the cheetah because I am paid to cut grass and had heard of way to many people have problems with the hustler deck. If I could have put a Velocity deck under the hustler I would have but they don't come with that option.

7. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Where did you get that top picture from? That same exact picture has run several times in an ad in the Detroit CL lately.

8. mowerconsultant

Male, from Syracuse, NY

Google....
    I believe that's the page it came from too.
    Lots of old Hustler's in the Detroit area.
    We have sold Oakland County and the City of Detroit mowers for the last 30 years.

Pj

9. Ridin' Green

Male, from Michigan

Well, I didn't see it on the Detroit listings today, but it was in the Monroe listings yesterday. It's the thrid picture down here, but in the Detroit listings it was the fist one that showed up-
    http://monroemi.craigslist.org/grd/2914146323.html

They use those Hustlers to mow the county Sherriff/County Courthouse complex's as well as their WAM's. I used to live over that way.:)

10. Snyder's Lawn Inc

Snyder's Lawn Inc LawnSite Platinum Member

O yes I remember them they was a turd
    What was the max speed on them