1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Draged chain all day=12 acres

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lawrence stone, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Thanks for the chain idea Eric. I took a 14' 3/8" logging chain ($23) and cut it up. The chains in no way effect the performance of the mower in anyway.

I have two of these sulkies. One chain drive and one w/o.

Where the chains hang there was two bakelite rollers there.
    It looks like the sulky was made to hang chains.

But since I went to the larger castors and tires they where not in play.

By having the chains on the sulky I can stripe with any size mower in the fleet.

2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Good deal Larry, it looks good. Was that other picture you posted of the stripes done with this new setup?
  3. The setup today was real dull single hi lift blades on a 52" (15 year old) deck.

The doubles (gators and low lift oems) are going on next week for leaf distruction. The hi lift baldes with gators take away too much ground speed and I need all the ground speed I can muster.

I hope to have some fresh sports fields pics using my 62" machine (single oem blades) with the chain drive sulky.

4. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

GOOD GRIEF!-- those chains look like they could pull a stuck RV out of deep doo!

I thought the toro didn't need chains or anything else to leave a good stripe.

help me out here!

5. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

You better be careful Larry, or you will be getting hate mail from Florida members who think stripes on a lawn look horrible. I've heard my stripes look like someone drove a farm tractor all over the lawn and left ugly marks on them. ;)

To all the one's that think this:

If we don't stripe lawns up here, we are out of a job, because the customers here want them. We don't have all retired customers here like down there. ;)
  6. geogunn

geogunn LawnSite Gold Member
    from TN

YO ERIC--not everyone likes good beer. some don't like it at all!

my point is that your grass looks great no matter who is looking!

we have a few neighborhoods near here that like the look you guys have.

but I can't break into that neighborhood without a lowball and no need to go there!

it's weeds and crabgrass for me...except for my commercials that are up near ROCKY TOP!

7. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

quite vibrant stripes mr.stone:)
  8. AltaLawnCare

AltaLawnCare LawnSite Senior Member

Lookin' good Stone.

What type of sulky is that??

Or is that home (custom) made?:D
  9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

Forgive my ignorance, but can someone please explain how you mow a cool season lawn and not end up with stripes? I understand from posts here that the different types of grass found in the south simply don't leave a mark when mowed. Just curious if there are people here from the north that don't stripe and how its possible.
  10. vipermanz

vipermanz LawnSite Bronze Member

try getting my st. augustine to stripe! HA!!