'dragging' with an hp 52??

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GarPA, Apr 8, 2002.

1. GarPA

GarPA LawnSite Silver Member
    from PA

Had a nice old guy give me a 4x8 dragging rake(kind of looks like a tight chain link fence).Was used to drag baseball infields...guessing it weighs about 200lbs. Any problem with this being too much for the Z(23kaw)(will use it after aeration)...I have a hitch on the mower and will take it slow at full rpm...thanks much.
  2. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

No problem at all. Pull away.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It weighs about 200 pounds? Boy, I don't know, with the weight, combined with the drag in the grass, I mean it's not like it's on wheels like an aerator or something. I think that would be quite a load on those hydros - ePECially those of a HP.
  4. Esby

Esby LawnSite Senior Member

I wouldn't be worried about doing it unless the hydros really whined when you pulled it. Watch you engine temp too, it could cause it to over heat, but probably not.
  5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Should be fine. I highly doubt it will do any damage to anything on the mower at all. If you have an ATV or GT (lawn/garden tractor), i'd use it instead, but a Z should be fine. I mean, the hydro drives are not too much different than on a hydro GT, right? Or am I wrong? I don't know a whole lot about ZTR final drives, but I do know you will not have any engine problems, but run it 3/4 or higher throttle just to keep the tranny fans spinning fast enough to keep the tranny cool.
    Oh, BTW, don't they make snow plows for some ZTR's? This drag shouldn't be alot worse than plowing heavy snow.
    Another idea, you might cut it down alittle bit shorter. This would reduce weight alot. You might have to go over it another time to get the right results but that's ok, right?
  6. MuskTurfKing

MuskTurfKing LawnSite Senior Member

I like the ATV idea, after you get done working you can go play on some hills. :p ;)