Drain Gas?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by rvsuper, Nov 18, 2002.

1. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

I was in the repair shop today, and I asked if I should drain my gas in the equipment, or add the Sta-Bil product that I have heard people talking about around my area. What do you do? He told me to drain the gas, but said the Sta-Bil also works. Whats your opinion?

2. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i keep 'Sea Foam' in all my fuels....gas, 2-stroke and diesel

never any problems!!

3. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

It works for 2-stroke and diesel too?

4. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Add the Sta-bil to ALL equipment AND gas tanks. Run like this for your last anticipated day. I then shut off fuel and let stall out. Then I TOP off all tanks. ALL the way to the VERY top of the tank. NO airspace. Any "extra" gas in gas cans goes into truck. 2 cycle is usually OK if you just add the Sta-bil and run it.

Everybody always talks about winterization, but in reality, its only usually 3 months (depending on area), and thats not ALL that long.

Good Luck

5. Wesley's Lawn

Wesley's Lawn LawnSite Member

I usally turn the gas shut off valve off and put stabel in the gas tank then i will run the thing dry and drain whatever gass is left out of the carb. Alot of the carbs now have alum. bowls or parts that the gas will eat away at over a period of time of non-use.

Wesley's Lawn

6. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Just make sure that before you turn that fuel shut-off knob, that Sta-Bil has had enough time to make it INTO the carb! Running it dry STILL leaves fuel in the carb. THIS little bit will gum up faster then a full bowl full.

7. Have always used sta-bil over winter in all equipment.
    Never had anything fail to start in spring.

8. rvsuper

rvsuper Senior Member

How much is Sta-Bil and how much gas do you leave in your tank?

9. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Sta-Bil is cheap (couple a bucks cheap) depending on the size bottle. Its available at your mower dealer or your local autoparts store.

You add appropriate amount depending on tank size.

I prefer to COMPLETELY fill mower tanks to aviod ANY air space for condensation to form. Condensation is BAD in the winter. As warm Spring days approach, you may see some gas expanding out the caps.

10. Lawn Sharks

Lawn Sharks LawnSite Senior Member

I use Sta-bil for everything. When I am real busy I don't bother but as the season winds down I start putting it in everything that I fill up. When I know a piece of equipment is done for the year I shoot about a tablespoon of detergent oil in the cylinder and turn it over a few times without the spark plug wire attached.
    I also do an oil change with synthetic to remove the sulphur from the crankcase.

Sta-Bil costs about 5 bucks to do twenty gallons. Worth it as it is real science and not voodoo. Never had a problem. Everything starts whenever it is asked to.

Happy wintering.

Keth

PS Thanks for this thread, reminds me that I have a 21" that has been sitting in the shed unused, need to winterize it!!!