Drain pipe question

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Bull, Apr 19, 2008.

1. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

When putting drainage behind a wall is the correct method to install the drain pipe with the holes up or down?

2. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

Holes down, water will travel where there is the least resistance. How many runs of pipe are you putting in. We usually start with slotted with a sock on it and finish with solid on the end of the wall if it has to travel very far to empty in to a drain.

3. Bull

Bull LawnSite Senior Member
    from NC

The walls are each 30' long and each one borders the side of the entrance into a basement behind a house. After the 30' runs come out from behind the walls they will be tied together into a solid corrugated pipe and ran underground to the edge of some woods. Along with this I will also be hooking in a gutter drain as well. I was going to backfill the walls 18" to 24" with clean stone and have the pipe at the base of the wall and backfill with soil behind the stone. Do I still need to use the sock if I am backfilling with the stone? I have just always wondered how the water moved through the pipe with the holes facing downward.

4. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

The easy way to visualize the water going in the pipe is this, I think.

You are not hoping for the water to luckily fall in the holes of the pipe if it were facing up. Gravity pulls the water to the lowest point (base of wall). So, once at the lowest level, the accumulated water (level) will begin to rise and enter the holes in the pipes that are turned downward (lowest level thing again). There is much less resisitance in the pipe then in the gravel/dirt, so the water will move freely inside the pipe to its lowest point or exit. Cool huh?

5. green_thumb

green_thumb LawnSite Member

I would also use some quality landscape fabric (Not the cheap **** from home depot) between the stone and soil. This will keep the soil from mixing in with the stone causing the purpose of the stone to be useless.

6. Fordsuvparts

Fordsuvparts LawnSite Senior Member

I could not have said it any better. Around here the soil is mostly clay and we do a large number of drainage jobs.

7. mzgloves20

mzgloves20 LawnSite Member

Clay..ick....

How long does is take you to shake wet clay out of your backhoe bucket???:laugh: