1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drain problem.

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by tfilbert, Feb 23, 2005.

1. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

Hi all. First let me say I'm a lawn care and landscaper. I don't do anything with water but have a problem. I have been asked to mulch a playground with a history. The church where it is located has the playground next to the building. They had problem with flooding in basement and had a drain installed about 50 ft. from the building and the ground is sloped according. They want the drain covered with mulch and suggested ground cloth over drain to allow water to pass through. They want the drain covered with 12 inches of mulch so it is no hazard to children. Will this work and if not what will. They have at present a heavy duty grate over the drain about 3 ft wide. The drain was installed by a plumber 6 months ago. Any ideas?
  2. Sunset

Sunset LawnSite Member

The mulch will reduce the flow capacity of the drain. Place a park bench, protective build out, etc. over the grate. Replace the large metal drain with several smaller drains with plastic grates. Check out the NDS website www.ndspro.com If the basement floods it may come back on you.
  3. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advise. We are actually going to place a piece of playground equipment over the drain to block access by kids. Since it's attached to a pipe that drains out lower in the yard (100 ft away). They were convinced it had to be covered until I explained I would assume no liability and would not cover the drain but they could once the job was done. We gave several options: Park bench, Planter w/ bench, playground equipment, sandbox, etc.
    I really didn't want to loose this account, way too much money.