Drain problem

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tfilbert, Feb 23, 2005.

1. tfilbert

tfilbert LawnSite Member

I posted this on irrigation and got no response so let me ask you guys. First let me say I'm a lawn care and landscaper. I don't do anything with water but have a problem. I have been asked to mulch a playground with a history. The church where it is located has the playground next to the building. They had problem with flooding in basement and had a drain installed about 50 ft. from the building and the ground is sloped according. They want the drain covered with mulch and suggested ground cloth over drain to allow water to pass through. They want the drain covered with 12 inches of mulch so it is no hazard to children. Will this work and if not what will. They have at present a heavy duty grate over the drain about 3 ft wide. The drain was installed by a plumber 6 months ago. Any ideas?

2. mcclureandson

mcclureandson LawnSite Member

You might want to consider steering them toward a more experienced landscaping company, other than that (with the lack of specifics given regarding the project) it's impossible to say for certain what the best solution would be...try searching this site for more info

3. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

By no means am I an expert at this and I am not sure if I understand what you mean by drain and how you are going to cover it. But 12 inches of mulch in an area that is going to be wet is going to just glue itself together pretty tight, especially when it starts to rot. So you will get a lot less water flow than you think. And 12 inches of mulch is going to compact and create a trip hazard.
    Perhaps you could look at covering the (?) drain pipe with rock (as in a french drain) for six inches then the top 6 inches of Playground mulch (round, large cypress mulch) (not made from the bark but the trunk wood)

Post a picture and you might get a better response.

4. KCLandscape

KCLandscape LawnSite Senior Member

need a picture, but in general that does not sound like a good plan

5. Mowman29

Mowman29 LawnSite Member
    from OH

Not sure but cover it with rubber mulch the type you can get from old cut up tires.

6. PMLAWN

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

I would stay away from that. You will end up building a pool for mulch

7. Turf Dancer

Turf Dancer LawnSite Senior Member

This could be a liability issue for you, you are opening yourself up for trouble by even dealing with this drain issue.

8. lawnlubber

lawnlubber LawnSite Member

When my son was in elementary school his playground was mulched with pea gravel. The pea gravel does not compact like regular gravel so it stays "soft" for the kids and allows water to drain. I would sugest trying that instead of woodchips around your drain.