Drain tile question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by MJK, Feb 2, 2008.

1. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

Do you guys install drain tile under existing sidewalks? If so could it damage the cement walk?

2. Tom B.

Tom B. LawnSite Member

Is the damage you're referring to the walk cracking and shifting where you tunneled?
    This is possible if you tunnel under an existing crack or control joint. The problem is it's very difficult to properly compact any material used to fill any voids around the pipe (under the sidewalk). It can be done if you stay away from existing cracks / control joints and tunnel and backfill correctly. But, this takes a decent amount of time and sometimes it's just more logical to cut out a section of the sidewalk, dig / install pipe, backfill / tamp(not damaging pipe) and then repour.
    What exactly are you dealing with?

3. MJK

MJK LawnSite Senior Member

There are 3 Down spouts in the front of this house and there is always water building up in the beddings and on the sidewalk. The sidewalks and the house is new, so there is no damage to the cement yet. The homeowner wants me to dig the drain tile under the walk and into the yard. I told them that I want to look into it to see if there would be damage to the walk. They don't want to do it if there will be possible damage.

4. sbvfd592

sbvfd592 LawnSite Senior Member

Are you just going to daylight the pipe?? if you can dig deep then place the pipe in more concrete. maybe you will have to use SDR non gasket-ed