Drainage dillemas

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by landscapingpoolguy, Mar 23, 2007.

1. landscapingpoolguy

landscapingpoolguy LawnSite Senior Member

Customer needs a retaining wall in there back yard and wants drystack fieldstone. Part of the dilema of there back yard is horrible drainage and an erosion problem. They have a naturally tierd yard already and at the top of that tier is a huge hill goin up to the neighbors yard. Water is oviously coming down the larger hill and causing all kinds mud in the two lower tiers of there yard. Im goin to Wall the hill betwen the two lower teirs so stop some of the eriosion goin on between those two tiers. Drainge work at the base of the larger hill also.Then regrade the lowest so the water flows away from the house. The major dilema is all the drainage work has no place to go except towards the wall. Im also concerned about seepage from the drystack wall(4' tall x 100'). I know I will have to install drainge at the foot in front of the wall. I was also considering building a cinder block wall first then veneering that with the fieldstone leaving the joints dry to achieve the dry look. I really need to keep all of my water contained to the drainge work behind the wall and another drain that I will put at the base of the wall. Other issues with the drysone wall is the two massive dogs these people have that run and wrestle. They will certianly be jumping all over the wall. I know this is hard to vision but if you have any thoughts or ideas they'd be apprciated.

591996066108_0_BG.jpeg

611176066108_0_BG.jpeg

863436066108_0_BG.jpeg

2. landscapingpoolguy

You can see the slope of the lower tier how erroded it is. The customer has bee shoveling the dirt off his driveway.

3. DVS Hardscaper

DVS Hardscaper LawnSite Fanatic

Ummm.........."Cinder" hasn't been used in block since the 70's.

Masonary block is comprised of cement.

4. landscapingpoolguy

Excuse my old-school terminology "cement block" 8x8x16. Im sure the correction wasnt really nessecary though.

5. PAPS Landscape Design

PAPS Landscape Design LawnSite Member
    from us

it's stupid, useless comments like this one that makes this site pretty much worthless...

6. Mike33

Mike33 LawnSite Bronze Member

Its a tough forum, not a place if you get your feelings hurt easy.
    Mike

7. landscapingpoolguy

Does anyone have any real comments on my plan? or a better solution I havent thought of? Thats really what Im after here.

8. tinye

tinye LawnSite Member

you could try running a french drain at the top of the steps and catch the runoff from the first hill. If you think it gets a lot off runoff... add a perf pipe w/sock that leads into a drywell.

9. landscapingpoolguy

I have a french drain goin in at the back of the property along the rocks, The drainage behind the wall, and installing another drain at the foot of the wall.

10. Dreams To Designs

Dreams To Designs LawnSite Bronze Member

Is there a place you can direct the water to, once you stop it's flow down the hill? The simplest solutions would be to use drainage pipe behind your wall to collect the runoff and pipe it to either open air or an adequately sized catch basin in the ground that will allow the water to recharge the ground water system. Using a concrete wall and facing will only create a large collection point for the water that will still need to be piped away or your wall will fail do to the pressure built up behind it. The Advantage to the dry stack is the water can and will flow through, but doesn't sound like you want that. Either way, your best to collect the water and move it to a place that you can deal with it properly, like a dry well or redirecting it to flow in a place that won't disturb your clients.

Companies like NDS & ADS make fittings, catch basins and manufactured drywells to assist you control the drainage flows. You may also be able to adjust some of the grade to redirect the runoff to less used areas and take advantage of the excess water in a rain garden or wet site planting.

Kirk