drainage for a fire pit

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by lawnboy, Feb 8, 2006.

1. lawnboy

lawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Hey i need some help on what to do for a flagstone fire pit. I want to make sure it doesnt fill with water in the center. What do you guys do to drain the area. I thought about drain tile, but thought that the ashes would clog. thanks

2. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

How about installing a tile sock on the drain?Then,where the fire is going to be,use sand as the base for the logs.As the ashes build up,the owner can clean out the pit and just re-apply new sand.

3. sheshovel

sheshovel LawnSite Fanatic

stick a cut off metal pipe through the pit side and that will do it,then put lava rock around the opening so it won't clog with ash

4. lawnboy

you have done this and it works?? Thanks

5. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

lol... I just did this on my property w/ a backhoe. Dug about a 10 ft deep hole. I think you are going to need to pipe a permanent metal pipe then have a pump to get the water out of there. I have about 2 feet of water in there now. I think having a good base is the key to having a successful burn.

Sheshovel where is the water to drain to if the pit is already so low?

6. lawnboy

i guess my question is, what should i put over the pipe so that the ashes dont fill the holes and clog the pipe?

7. drsogr

drsogr LawnSite Bronze Member

How about metal mesh?

8. cleancutccl

cleancutccl LawnSite Senior Member

for a raised pit a pipe out the side will work, but what about a sunken firepit?

9. lawnboy

That is what i am looking to build is a pit with flagstone round it, with it sunken a foot or so.

10. Alan Mesmer

Alan Mesmer LawnSite Member

How about 8 inches of concrete sand on top of landscape fabric on top of 8 inches of drainage gravel around a 4" sdr35 perforated plastic pipe ran to discharge area. The old french drain under the firepit trick...?
    Never really put one under a firepit but that is what I would do.
    Alan