1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

drainage help...Can I do This??

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by bottlefed89, Jul 28, 2004.

1. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Alright, I've got an odd question for you guys. Basically, I am doing a big wall job for some folks, but they also want me to do some drainage work for them on the other side of their house. Problem is every time it rains, water washes down the driveway and across their yard and a small landscaped(poorly) area bewtween the drive and a sidewalk. This is the problem, I need to install a drain, but the drain line needs to go under the sidewalk. The sidewalk is fairly new, and very nice. Has anyone ever tried digging under the walk, or would it be a waste of my time?? I'd bust it up and go under, but I don't know much about concrete and don't think I could ever get the one square to match the rest.... plus they don't want the walk to be cut up..
    any advice will help.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

There's this thing called (Ibelieve) A missle,it is made for just such a task,but it requires a compressor and such.............

It "drills" holes under ground in this sort of situation. Probably not something you'll get involved with but.................

Personally I'd dig under it and just backfill really well when finished.
  3. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Irrigation guys do it all the time. Talk to one.
  4. JimLewis

JimLewis LawnSite Fanatic

In irrigation we call it, "running a sleeve" under the sidewalk. It's fairly simple, usually. But it's hard work.

Dig a hole on both sides of the sidewalk. On one side, the whole should be about 5' long. Now take a 4' section of 3" PVC Schedule 40 pipe and put a cap on one end of it. Now lay this piece of pipe in the 5' hole and start pounding with a sledge.

Usually, one of my guys can run a sleeve in about 1-2 hours.

There are special boring and drilling tools you can buy or rent that make it a little easier. But it doesn't decrease the time spent by much. And IMO, is more money than it's worth. It's fairly simple to just pound one in yourself - it's just hard work.
  5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Hey Jim,
    He's probably talking about running 4 or 6" pipe instead of irrigation lines.Think he could do them side by side to get the proper width?I've never run one under a walk or drive before.
    Also,if he's got clay soil to contend with,I don't think he's going to bang PVC through it.I have seen someone take a piece of pvc with a high pressure nozzle on the end,hooked to a pressure washer and blast under a sidewalk.
  6. JimLewis

Yah, he could do 2 of them side by side, I suppose.

The heavy clay soil doesn't matter. That's all we have here. Heck, sometimes we're pounding through straight heavy clay & rock. That's even worse than just clay by itself. But we always find a way to get through - even in the worst of soils. It just takes a lot of heavy hitting. We've installed hundreds of irrigation systems in this area over the last few years and I've never yet found one we couldn't pound through.

As for the pressure washer contraption - yah, I have heard of that and had people tell me it worked for them. This is similar to the drills and boring ideas. It probably works but I always wonder if it's worth the time and effort. It's usually just quicker for us to grab some thick PVC and just start pounding. I know it sounds impossible, but it's really not.
  7. bottlefed89

Thanks for the help guys, so I get some sched 40, and cap just the hitting end?? I was just planning on doing the drainage in 4" corrugated tubing, but do you think I should use something more rigid under the walk?? I think it is 4"+ thick, and it is very rarely used, I will properly fill under it, but I don't think stress on the walk will be too much of an issue.
    thanks again, anymore suggestions??
  8. JimLewis

Use the 4" corrogated flexible pipe for everywhere except under the concrete areas. Under those areas, just convert to 4" PVC and then convert back to the 4" corrogated stuff on the other side.
  9. bottlefed89

Is there an easy way to join the two??
  10. SWD

SWD LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the black ADS drainage pipe has couplers that are specially made for connecting to 4" thick walled pvc pipe.
    In some areas these couplers are called septic connectors, others called them rigid pipe connectors. Whereever you purchase the black ADS pipe, you should find these couplers there.