drainage help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ticolawnllc, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

Customers whole back lawn about 10-15 sqft is water logged. The irrigation guys came in and nothing is leaking and system is a okay. The lot is the highest on the block. on top of a hill you could say. I'm thinking clay or compacted subsoil. Any Ideas.

Also can you put in 3-4 inch pipe with a trencher? If so what models.

2. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

1) Turn the water off for a while, let the soil dry out.
    2) Check the meter for movement with all sources off. might be a leak in domestic.
    3) hire a soils engineer rather than try to guess the issue away.
    4) yes on the trencher but not very well. an engineer will work better and relieve you of liability.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Disagree on the trencher.

A 6" wide chain on a trencher will allow you to install a 4" drain pipe.

Really not that hard, and you still can do a French drain if you wish also.

I do agree though that a good soil analysis is in order to figure out why there is a water issue, especially on top of the hill.

Has this HO had water issues in the past or is this the first sign of problems?

4. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

IMHO anything shy of 18" wide ditch w/washed crushed rock is pretty much a waste.
    i have done my share of ground water conveyance systems, the few that were designed as curtains and installed with trenches paled in comparison to a fabric lined spread design.
    i would consider fiber lined trenches and infiltrator chambers on larger sites.
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

The home owner always had trouble in a 12X8 patch. But we got SLAMED with rain for two days that was 3 days ago. The have lots of clay and they never have to water for that reason. What wAter they put down lingers for a long time.

6. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

I can understand and agree with what you are saying to some degree, but in all reality, if the pipe can catch water and take it away, then it's doing something regardless of the construction.

That and I'm sure it goes in part with soil conditions and structure.

Farmers trench or pull in 10-"-12" field tile with great results, with no sock or special drainage techniques.

7. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

I was going to run my subsoiler as soon as its dry enough to. I have to dodge the sprinkler lines. I have three customers on this block and they all have water issues on part of their lawns.

8. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

9. Mike Leary

Mike Leary LawnSite Fanatic

Good idea, you can dump the sig when you enter this forum, by the way. :dizzy:

10. GreenI.A.

GreenI.A. LawnSite Silver Member

I'm surprised it took so long for someone to say something