Lawn Care Forum banner

drainage help

9K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  mdvaden 
#1 ·
Customers whole back lawn about 10-15 sqft is water logged. The irrigation guys came in and nothing is leaking and system is a okay. The lot is the highest on the block. on top of a hill you could say. I'm thinking clay or compacted subsoil. Any Ideas.

Also can you put in 3-4 inch pipe with a trencher? If so what models.

#28 ·
[QUOTE that is great. will the water 1Z55X0650352485960stay on the property?
Posted via Mobile Device[/QUOTE]

On small lots of lets say 15k sqft how would you keep all down spouts and driveway run off on the property.

I think I saw a contractor tie into the sewer. New construction All down spouts are pipes and channel drain in the driveway.

#30 ·
[QUOTE that is great. will the water 1Z55X0650352485960stay on the property?
Posted via Mobile Device
On small lots of lets say 15k sqft how would you keep all down spouts and driveway run off on the property.

I think I saw a contractor tie into the sewer. New construction All down spouts are pipes and channel drain in the driveway.[/QUOTE]

it depends where you are. CA - AB1881 doesn't allow runoff over hardscapes but where i am there is no enforcement at this time.
some of the cities here require sewer connections for downspouts, others don't.
you could be in a pickle since you are re-introducing the water to the surface.
Posted via Mobile Device

#33 ·
I ran the sub spoiler the other day. There had to 3 layer of compaction. One was clay top soil. The second was clay and gravel. The third looked some what sandy. Rain is on the way this week let se what happens. Just an FYI we've been dry for six days and it's still wet as hell. In the future I'll top dress with sand after aerating.

#34 ·
Even using a ripper the compaction layers will eventually come back.

Another simple method is using an auger and going down about 3' and then back-filling with either good soil or sand. Then you've got places for the water to penetrate.

#35 ·
I ran the sub spoiler the other day. There had to 3 layer of compaction. One was clay top soil. The second was clay and gravel. The third looked some what sandy. Rain is on the way this week let se what happens. Just an FYI we've been dry for six days and it's still wet as hell. In the future I'll top dress with sand after aerating.
if this was my job i would eliminate the possibility of a leak.

take note that your customer may not be the source of a leak, neighboring properties may be the culpret.

purveyors lines leak too
Posted via Mobile Device

#36 ·
Customers whole back lawn about 10-15 sqft is water logged. The irrigation guys came in and nothing is leaking and system is a okay. The lot is the highest on the block. on top of a hill you could say. I'm thinking clay or compacted subsoil. Any Ideas.

Also can you put in 3-4 inch pipe with a trencher? If so what models.
The subsoil?

Could be compaction in the top millimeters sometimes.

Portland drainage

Also, along the lines of surface compaction related to drainage, I don't think most homeowners or lawn services aerate at the right time of year, or enough. Many services try to do it to serve themselves to make money, not to serve the soil. That's the case if they aerate when soil is so soft that walking and mowing easily close the holes again.

When the soil is firm enough, I think it should be done twice over ... maybe more.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.