Lawn Care Forum banner

drainage help

9K views 35 replies 7 participants last post by  mdvaden 
#1 ·
Customers whole back lawn about 10-15 sqft is water logged. The irrigation guys came in and nothing is leaking and system is a okay. The lot is the highest on the block. on top of a hill you could say. I'm thinking clay or compacted subsoil. Any Ideas.

Also can you put in 3-4 inch pipe with a trencher? If so what models.

#2 ·
Customers whole back lawn about 10-15 sqft is water logged. The irrigation guys came in and nothing is leaking and system is a okay. The lot is the highest on the block. on top of a hill you could say. I'm thinking clay or compacted subsoil. Any Ideas.

Also can you put in 3-4 inch pipe with a trencher? If so what models.
1) Turn the water off for a while, let the soil dry out.
2) Check the meter for movement with all sources off. might be a leak in domestic.
3) hire a soils engineer rather than try to guess the issue away.
4) yes on the trencher but not very well. an engineer will work better and relieve you of liability.
Posted via Mobile Device

#3 ·
Disagree on the trencher.

A 6" wide chain on a trencher will allow you to install a 4" drain pipe.

Really not that hard, and you still can do a French drain if you wish also.

I do agree though that a good soil analysis is in order to figure out why there is a water issue, especially on top of the hill.

Has this HO had water issues in the past or is this the first sign of problems?

#4 ·
Disagree on the trencher.

A 6" wide chain on a trencher will allow you to install a 4" drain pipe.

Really not that hard, and you still can do a French drain if you wish also.

I do agree though that a good soil analysis is in order to figure out why there is a water issue, especially on top of the hill.

Has this HO had water issues in the past or is this the first sign of problems?

IMHO anything shy of 18" wide ditch w/washed crushed rock is pretty much a waste.
i have done my share of ground water conveyance systems, the few that were designed as curtains and installed with trenches paled in comparison to a fabric lined spread design.
i would consider fiber lined trenches and infiltrator chambers on larger sites.
Posted via Mobile Device

#6 ·
IMHO anything shy of 18" wide ditch w/washed crushed rock is pretty much a waste.
i have done my share of ground water conveyance systems, the few that were designed as curtains and installed with trenches paled in comparison to a fabric lined spread design.
i would consider fiber lined trenches and infiltrator chambers on larger sites.
Posted via Mobile Device
I can understand and agree with what you are saying to some degree, but in all reality, if the pipe can catch water and take it away, then it's doing something regardless of the construction.

That and I'm sure it goes in part with soil conditions and structure.

Farmers trench or pull in 10-"-12" field tile with great results, with no sock or special drainage techniques.

#19 · (Edited)
This feels like high school all over again. For a group of guy expressing your maturity and lack of need for sigs you sure are acting like children.
True, all true. However, since you asked, I did a ton of drainage, and used a designer that did septic drainfields. He would ascertain if the water was coming from the surface, in which case drain boxes were installed and daylighted to the low point. If it was subsurface, we went down to hardpan, six inches deeper and installed drainpipe (socks came later, but a great idea.) He called for drain rock all the way to the top of grade,but we later modified his designs and used fabric to provide some mulch to cover. He spec'd a plastic wrap on the downhill side of a curtain drain to channel the water into the pipes. Never had one fail.

#22 ·
Sound hard core. I don't feel the home owner is looking to put a lot of money in to this. Seeing the problem is getting worst I'll have to have a talk with them and up the budget.
while you are designing the drainage i hope you have a place on the property for the drainage to go to.
it is not legal to daylight that water to the street or onto anothers property.
Posted via Mobile Device

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.