drainage help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Ticolawnllc, Sep 7, 2012.

1. Ticolawnllc

Ticolawnllc LawnSite Senior Member
    from Wall NJ

The home I'm working on has lot of room to work with. As for the small lots down spouts are the majority of the problem. But I guess they can get a plumer to tie in to the sewer.

2. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

You guys have been super helpful. Thank I'll post later as things happen

3. Ticolawnllc

from Wall NJ

I ran the sub spoiler the other day. There had to 3 layer of compaction. One was clay top soil. The second was clay and gravel. The third looked some what sandy. Rain is on the way this week let se what happens. Just an FYI we've been dry for six days and it's still wet as hell. In the future I'll top dress with sand after aerating.

4. White Gardens

White Gardens LawnSite Fanatic

Even using a ripper the compaction layers will eventually come back.

Another simple method is using an auger and going down about 3' and then back-filling with either good soil or sand. Then you've got places for the water to penetrate.

5. 1idejim

1idejim LawnSite Fanatic

if this was my job i would eliminate the possibility of a leak.

take note that your customer may not be the source of a leak, neighboring properties may be the culpret.

purveyors lines leak too
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

The subsoil?

Could be compaction in the top millimeters sometimes.

Portland drainage

Also, along the lines of surface compaction related to drainage, I don't think most homeowners or lawn services aerate at the right time of year, or enough. Many services try to do it to serve themselves to make money, not to serve the soil. That's the case if they aerate when soil is so soft that walking and mowing easily close the holes again.

When the soil is firm enough, I think it should be done twice over ... maybe more.