Drainage Issue

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by TurnerLawn&Landscape, May 2, 2011.

1. TurnerLawn&Landscape

TurnerLawn&Landscape LawnSite Member

I have a customer that has some low spots in their backyard where water is pooling up. I attached some pics that she sent me. Can i just come in with topsoil and build these areas up and grade them or does there need to be some type of drainage installed?

sugarman1.jpg

sugarman2.jpg

sugarman3.jpg

2. Georgia Lawn Works LLC

Georgia Lawn Works LLC LawnSite Senior Member

You might be able to just apply topsoil. Its hard to tell from the pics. More than likley top soil will just make the water not visible but you will still have mushy spots. If so one of your options would be a french drain. It looks like the water has no where to go. So applying topsoil may keep the water from settling in those low spots.
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. 32vld

32vld LawnSite Gold Member

Where does the water come from is the first thing you have to find out.

From the roof?

Then rain gutters will have to be reworked so the water no longer fills those low spots.

Is the problem that this property is lower then the road or adjacent properties?

Then drains to divert water flowing towards this plot at the property line.

And drains to remove water from the low spots.

However with the ground level already close to the same height as the sidewalk and driveway the only thing adding soil to the low spots is going to move the floods onto the sidewalk and drive.

4. vencops

vencops LawnSite Bronze Member
    from NC

The above gentleman asked great questions.

1. Source
    2. Where can you divert it to? This is, ultimately, the key question.
    3. Is No. 2 (bold) achievable?

You have to look at the big picture. Solving one drainage issue could create more (even bigger) issues.

5. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

There might be hard clay down under that topsoil and no where for the water to go or soak into. I say dig some out and see what their is and then maybe fill back in with crushed gravel and then top soil.

6. vencops

from NC

^^Where does the water trapped in the gravel go?

7. TurnerLawn&Landscape

It is not water from any roof overflow or downspout drains, it is in 3 main areas, and two of them are not feasible to have the water drain anywhere if a drain were to be installed.

8. vencops

from NC

So what happens if you build these areas up? Where will the water go, then?

Where's it going, now (when you get a really big occurrence)?

9. TurnerLawn&Landscape

thats the problemo,

10. Smallaxe

Smallaxe LawnSite Fanatic

The only place to go is down... Dig the hole and keep digging till you get through to drainable subsoil... It might be work, but use a shovel...