Drainage on an existing wall

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by JoeinJasper, Nov 23, 2007.

1. JoeinJasper

JoeinJasper LawnSite Member

I have just started work on a property with 6x6 timber walls that don't have proper drainage. These walls are only 2 years old and are starting to bow out in places. While I know the correct way to repair the wall is to dig out and add gravel and pipe, the customer isn't going to do this. Will it work to drill weep holes along the bottom of the wall? And could I add PVC pipe with fabric over the end to prevent soil from flushing through? Thanks, Joe

2. turfquip

turfquip LawnSite Senior Member

The problem may not be drainage exclusively. Depending on height and conditions under and behind the wall, it may have been poorly constructed and or engineered.

Me, personally I wouldn't modify those walls in any way. Doing so MAY transfer liability to you when they fail.

3. humble1

humble1 LawnSite Silver Member
    from MA

Does it have any deadmen. Looking from the top down it looks like a T the top of the tee is in the soil the bottom is in the wall. The weight of the soil on the top of the tee holds the wall from bucking out. Also I agree w/ the other post, dont tough it, do it right or refer it to someone else

4. JoeinJasper

Thanks. I will 'step away from the wall'...Joe

5. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

If it is a treated timber wall it will only last a limited amount of time.
    I guess maybe 7 to 8 years here before they start failing from wood rot.
    No more rain than we have had this year I would say drainage is not the problem.:rolleyes:

6. JoeinJasper

Two gutters are piped out behind the wall. I was there during one of our few rains and there was no water draining out of the pipe, but the wall had a cascade of water pouring though directly in front of a down spout. I think the pipe was cut when the shrubs were installed and the water has been pouring through for several months. You can also see mold growing on the face of the wall where it bows out. Joe

7. AWJ Services

AWJ Services LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Ga

Usually the water causes a problem when it freezes or if it has enough flow too undermine the footing.
    I also do not no how tall the wall is either.
    Also the water will eventually carry the soil through the wall as well.
    If the pipe is cut far enough back then it could be releasing the soil around the deadmen resulting in the bow.