1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drainage price help

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by scout279, Jun 25, 2008.

1. scout279

scout279 LawnSite Member

Just trying to review my pricing. Some days I think I am too high and others I feel like am too low. But then things always look to come out right. I am bidding a 185' drainage job that I don't want to lose on. Basically renting a mini excavator and taking a trench down the side of the driveway, putting in 2 or 3 drain boxes and then running the pipe to the street. just looking for a guesstimate for what I should be around.
    Any help would be great!
  2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Free will always land you the job. :)
  3. poiuy qwerty

poiuy qwerty LawnSite Member

I would charge approx $12 - $15/ft + rental cost
  4. Waterit

Waterit LawnSite Silver Member

What size and type of pipe? What size and type of box? What's the terrain - flat, sloped,???
  5. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

clay? or sand?
  6. Wet_Boots

Wet_Boots LawnSite Fanatic

paper or plastic
  7. golfguy

golfguy LawnSite Member

I am paying $9.80 for installed 4" pipe, sod lifted and replaced. I am paying $3.00 a foot for 2" pipe installed.
  8. scout279

scout279 LawnSite Member

Ok the area is right along side a gravel driveway. I would say a little sandy and its all flat or already sloped toward the street. installing 4" drain pipe and 2 12" drain boxes. I was figuring some were in the range of $8 - $10 a ft. Pluss the rental of the excavator. Have hand dug a drain this long before but it was not fun and was also just across a back yard.
  9. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

You should be in the range of $14/linear foot for 4" hard PVC.

I'd add $75.00 per 9x9" catch basin, and $100.00 per 12x12" catch basin.

Also, cutting the curb, boring in to city main, tapping in to downspouts, etc. is extra.

BTW - I would NEVER rent a mini ex to dig a couple hundred feet for 4" pipe...

That's just me, though...
  10. CALandscapes

CALandscapes LawnSite Senior Member

Neglected to mention, though, that the soil down here in Southern LA is soft..

Might be a bit different in VA (i.e. hard-packed), thus warranting the mini-ex rental..