Drainage Problem Any Help Good

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Green Care, Aug 14, 2004.

1. Green Care

Green Care LawnSite Senior Member

Sump pump can't handle the water trying too reroute it.If need more pictures I have them.

dsc01631.jpg

2. Green Care

Here is another one

dsc01624.jpg

3. Green Care

Here another one tell me what ya think.

dsc01626.jpg

4. blafleur

blafleur LawnSite Member

Can a small retaining wall with drain pipe reroute it?

Bryan

5. NickN

NickN LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

From the pics it looks like the water is running towards the security sign(octagon) and then along the wall.
    First thing I would do is install a drainage grate near the octagonal sign and then run the pipe parallel to the wall and discharge away from the foundation via a pop-up.Too much water for a dry well.
    It sure won't hurt to dig to the foundation of the wall and backfill with crushed limestone and some drainage pipe also.

6. Green Care

Heres another one

dsc01620.jpg

7. Green Care

Another one here ya go

dsc01623.jpg

8. Green Care

In picture 1 where the ivory is, to your left that's where the wall starts it run to steps I will have to come from the octagon to the ivory with pipe right?

Such tight area how would you dig or what would use.

9. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks to me like the drainage behind the timber wall is either not in existance or is plugged.

I agree with Nick; the first thing I would do is install drainage behind the wall. I'm a little concerned about the large tree- how long have the walls been in place?

Is this area open on one end, or is it totally enclosed by walls/stairs?

From what I can tell from the pictures, it doesn't appear that the timber wall was built correctly- it looks as if there is no overlap of the timbers, meaning there are several invidual walls instead of one stronger one. Again, from what I've seen, I see no evidence of deadmen either. With 9 courses of timbers showing, there needs to be at least 2 every 8 feet, with them spaced 3 courses apart....

Knowing that the wall is built wrong (I'm assuming from what I've seen in the pics), and assuming that one end is open, I'd recommend tearing the walls out and starting over. Put in drainage and build the new walls correctly.

If one end is not open, I'd still suggest rebuilding the walls correctly, it would just be a little more work.

Check into a tracked Dingo (such as a TX 420 or TX425), or a Bobcat MT52. I would want tracks around that tree, all of these have that. Plus their compact size will help.

HTH.

This may be picking nits here, but, by the way, it's IVY, not ivory.:) You were confusing me at first.:p

Dan

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

First I'd see where the water is coming from.

If it is runoff from rain and/or irrigation, you might consider a swale and french drain up the hill before it gets to the retaining wall and gutters on the overhang for rain water. If it's irrigation, check the watering cycles and system for leaks.

If it is ground water seeping then you are going to have a bit more work to do. Either excavate behind the walls and put in the french drain and drainage pipes,
    or as Dan said, maybe remove the wall and then put in the required drainage.

Jerry