Drainage problem......some input.

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by o-so-n-so, Jan 22, 2004.

1. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

Any input on this project.

Look at these photos. Drainage problem starts in the 1st photo.

The drainage pipe under the drive will not handle a heavy flash flood type rain. You can see where the water has washed away the soil under the drive.

2nd photo is the other side of the drive. Wants to dress up this drainage problem.

1. I told my customer that the drainage under the drive must be addressed first. Then I could carry that out to the end, cover and sod. Or, make a natural drainage and line with rock (large, med, and small) to give it a natural creek bed look.

Personally I think the drainage pipe would be the best cure and add a more natural look to the area.

Any Ideas you could share.

nunn 015.jpg

2. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

Other side of drive..................

nunn 016.jpg

3. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

wider angle...............

nunn 017.jpg

4. stxkyboy

stxkyboy LawnSite Member

Id run a twelve inch the entire lenght burry it and be done.

5. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

Definitely need to address the drainage under the drive- looks like a lot of erosion is happening here- what size pipe is that under the drive? I have done similar jobs where we had limitations in the diameter (finished height of drive and bottom of grade will determine maximum diameter) where we installed two N-12 pipes side-by-side. The N-12 looks like corrugated black pipe, but has a smooth finish on the inside. It looks like you would need to tear up the driveway (I see this as an opportunity to sell/install a paver apron!). If you use two pipes, be sure to concrete the side that receives the water, to keep soil from washing out between the pipes. You can also buy pre-fabricated 'headwalls' or flares for this type of pipe, which would be nice to channel the water into the pipe. I would probably extend the pipe 10 or 20 feet past the drive, if you have enough room to backfill over top. Dry-creekbed look from there down would work nicely.

6. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

I was thinking of cutting the drive at the seam, replacing drain under drive with 30" drainage pipe, dress up the entrance of the pipe with rock. Run 30" the length. Bury the pipe, encase with gravel, add fill and then top soil with slight natural drain (for run off) sod and then be done with it.

I'd like to build up quite a bit. The ditch is close to where the pipe will lay with minimal digging. ( bout 2' deep).

Is 30" pipe overkill.....If you look in the photo, you can see where the water line is. It completely runs over the drive way.

bcx, The front of the house has some rock work that would tie in nicely with a paver apron.

7. bcx400

bcx400 LawnSite Member
    from PA

You probably only want to do this once, right? Go for the largest size pipe that will work. You might want to check local ordinances for permits- some areas around my location require large drainage pipes to have rebar grates covering each end (I think to keep kids out).

8. o-so-n-so

from Alabama

This is the rock work at the front of the house.

Wouldn't a paver in gray cobblestone look awsome for that property.

nunn 021.jpg

9. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Holy cow, that city has pretty poor drainage requirements for roads. I'm not big on regulation, but that is rediculous. All the road runoff just flows off of the pavement and on to the surrounding properties?

Don't they have curbs or berms and catch basins and leach pits or detention/retention ponds? Yikes.

10. DFW Area Landscaper

DFW Area Landscaper LawnSite Silver Member
    from DFW, TX

I have no experience with this, but I was just wondering if this would work:

Get a concrete saw and cut out a 8 to 10 foot wide section of the driveway right above where the creek runs. Dig everything out straight down from the concrete cuts, creating a bare rectangular shaped ditch that would be the same depth as the existing creek bed. Then, put paving stones or concrete along the sides of the ditch to prevent erosion. Then, along the top, weld what would amount to a cattle guard that would fit over the top of the ditch. Basically, it would be creating a bridge there.

My gut feeling is that you need to have the concrete driveway sitting on solid soil and I don't think that's gonna be possible with that pipe under there.

Not sure if that would work or not.

Later,
    DFW Area Landscaper