Drainage problem w/ pics

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Lawnworks, Jan 30, 2005.

1. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

Our customer wants to resod his yard, but I think there is a drainage problem that needs to be addressed first. I have attached pics. What can I do about the cement drainage pipe/box? Is there a way to remove it and level the yard? If not, what can I do to keep the yard from washing down the sewer? I believe it was county installed. I hope the pics turn out.

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

Are you certain that the drain is actually on his property and not in the road layout? While most communities will allow landscaping in the road layout in front of the home, it is still owned by the municipality and altering the drainage structure will almost cetainly not be acceptable. Are there any property markers or has it been surveyed?

Then again, you might have checked this out already, I don't know.

3. lawncare4u

lawncare4u LawnSite Senior Member
    from S>C>

It looks as though the box is there to keep the water from running into the road....I would not do away with it,because if it is county,and you do and someone had a wreck,and knew you did away with it-could mean trouble....Now the solution talk the customer into a horseshoe shaped (shrubs)around box..Leave the opening on the upper side >looks good and you get paid to do it,then everyone is happy

4. Lawnworks

from usa

Well I am not really concerned w/ how it looks in the yard. It looks as though the water is washing away some grass as it is in route to the drain. Could I put a french drain lead into the cement drain? I have not even met w/ the guy in person, but when I do, I want to be on top of my game. I just want to slow the run off into the drain... I guess. The drain is county installed so tampering w/ it may not be a good idea, unless I can get a permit of some sort. Any other suggestions? Would there be a way to grade it so it would not wash the grass away?

5. Lawnworks

from usa

Any other opinions?

6. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

if you sod the yard nothing will wash away. the yard is not very steep. the sod will slow the water and prevent erosion.

i would not go changing the drainage of the yard, especially since you don't really know what you're doing. you could open yourself yo HUGE liabilities.

7. Lawnworks

from usa

Point taken, but eventually won't the sodded yard say 3 months down the road show the drainage wearing patterns as shown in the pics?

8. YardPro

YardPro LawnSite Gold Member

the only things i see in the pics are right around the concrete itself.