Drainage problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by kirk1701, May 20, 2010.

1. kirk1701

kirk1701 LawnSite Gold Member

Hey guys,
    Had this posted in irrigation but got out of hand and was practically laughed out of the forum.

Here's the thread so I don't have to repost the pic's.
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=315455&highlight=kirk1701

Bottom line, I've called planning and zoning, dept of water and even contacted a lawyer but for $150 per hour I might as we'll go ahead and put drains in on this side of the property now too. Thing is I need to know who to call, I don't know or need to know where to place the drains for maximum drainage?

Do landscapers do this type of work?

2. Creative Cuts

Creative Cuts LawnSite Member

we couldn't pour a driveway because the neighbor said the 3 24" drain pipes weren't sufficient to handle the water our drive blocked, so he should have to fix the problem
    but that don't help much

3. kirk1701

Yea we had that problem too, neighbor "ABOVE" us is built up un a hill besides being uphill from us and her rain gutters are pointed toward us on that side. We put a bumper down our side of the driveway because it kept washing out the driveway. However, the landscape is pitched toward the back of the house not toward the road :cry:

Nothing I could do there that's the developers fault 35 years ago.

OK maybe time for some pics so you guys get an idea whats going on.

These in the other thread as you can see is what happened at the back of the garage:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3546825&postcount=3
    Also what I did to correct is and the results because we seen the forecast with 10+ inches of rain heading our way to this resolved the problem of the drainage from the neighbors rain gutters and all the neighbors above her which drains onto us. ALONG with all of this:
    http://www.lawnsite.com/showpost.php?p=3549709&postcount=37

What I've done since which I don't have pic's of yet is built up the back side of my garden to keep it from ever washing out again since the landscape of the property is also pitched back toward the garage so any water draining off the field or the back of my garden will also be channeled toward the drain you see in the pic above.

Now what's not in the other thread before the guys in irrigation started making a big joke out of my situation are the pic's of the problem I still have. From the other side of the garden down to the property line the water is blocked. Neighbor has constructed literally a foundation of a house 25 to 30 feet long right in the low area where the water is suppose to drain down on her, this is the results.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. kirk1701

Bump

Did this get overlooked?

5. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of the damn plastic!

6. kirk1701

Not plastic Kiril, just landscaping paper which water goes through.

7. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Get rid of that crap too.

8. kirk1701

That's what prevents the weeds from coming up through the pine bark.

We have the white stone all the way around the house and for 10 years now maintenance free. :)

9. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

That geotextile is junk. IMO, the only time I would consider using a geotextile (a high quality one) is with rock, and only for the purpose of keeping it separated from the soil for easier removal should that be desired at some later point in time. That cheap big box stuff will not achieve that goal.

The effectiveness of geotextile used as a weed block decreases dramatically with time, and with anything other than rock, it not only is a waste of money, but detrimental to your soil health. You would be better off with 3" of mulch, be it compost, chip, straw, whatever you use for that purpose in your area.

10. kirk1701

Kiril, no offence here bud so don't take it the wrong way. The landscaping paper is beside the point, see my original post

Landscaping paper or no landscaping paper my bark is going to get washed downhill unless I drain the runoff to the street. :usflag: