Drainage problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by stevesland, Jan 18, 2005.

1. stevesland

stevesland LawnSite Member

I have a potential client who has asked me to solve a drainage issue on his property. So here it is, he lives at the end of a cul-de-sac. All of the street gutters drain into a concrete brow ditch which goes along the edge of his property continues toward his backyard. The ditch then feeds into a 12" corrugated single wall drainpipe that goes down a 100' slope at a 45 degree angle. Well, the problem is that in a big rain the drainpipe gets disconnected because of excessive velocity I think, and cases severe erosion on the slope.
    The drainpipe is currently unburied and in the bottom of the ravine cased by the erosion. The question is can this drainpipe be expected to stay connected with this heavy degree of slope? Does anybody have any experience with this sort of thing?

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

I would guess that the problem you describe is not your client's problem. Most likely you have a drainage board that should take care of those things, if not, I would bet that the ditch is part of an easement owned by the municipality.

Chances are, if you start work, you will need permits from someone, somewhere... If you are not familiar with drainage, I would pass on it.

You are most likely correct in assuming it is the velocity that is partially to blame. However, that tells me that the pipe was not sized correctly to begin with, and it most likely should have been at least an 18" pipe, or possibly a 24" pipe. At a minimum, the 12" pipe should be smooth-walled plastic.

If it were me (without seeing the site), I'd probably pass on it.

Dan

3. stevesland

stevesland LawnSite Member

Thanks for responding, The property is actually located in an unincorporated area in town so I called the county stormwater dept. and they told me that they weren't interested because it was on a private section of the county. The end of the proposed drain would be draining into a creek which is in a remote city park. The city stormwater dept. said that I was allowed to drain it into the creek legally. The drainpipe is smooth on the inside and the manufacturer suggests stabilizing the pipe by stapling it down w/ 4' sections of re-bar. Anyway I've submitted my proposal and am waiting to hear back. I'll let you know if I get it.