Drainage problem

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by impactlandscaping, Feb 22, 2005.

1. impactlandscaping

impactlandscaping LawnSite Silver Member

I got a call today for a new home that is having drainage issues. I thought the house sounded familiar, but wasn't sure until I got there.Sure enough, it was a new construction I looked at last year around this time. The builder had called for grading, excavation, and lawn install. I did the proposal for him, and he said he could do it for 1/3 of my price. I said go ahead, thanks...Well, here it is, a year later and the new owners are involved in a legal dispute with him over the home. Various interior / exterior quality issues, not to mention the water seeping in the inner walls in the basement , the lack of topsoil in the yard, and the non existent sidewalk to the front steps. Long story short, the bulider provided a warranty which expires in 2 months to the owners, and said he will pay the cost of repairs to the yard and drainage system. I'm not even sure if there are french drains around the foundation at this point, but we will find out Wednesday after they all meet with their lawyers. Now it's going to cost him more than it would have last year to properly fix his problems. Karma is a real beeyotch, ain't it?? :D

2. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Would not want that job Bill. Sounds like one big pile of crap that you don't want to step in. When attorneys are mentioned I run from the situation, its just not worth the time to take a chance getting subpeaned into court, dposition etc. Wait till the home owners get a check and only work for them.

Mac

3. impactlandscaping

That's basically the plan , Mac. They need my proposal to present to the attorney, who will then cut the homeowners a check for the amount of estimated repairs. Once they agree, the homeowners have no recourse against the builder. I would not do anything in the middle, or anything directly for the builder. I could tell he was in the clouds last year. Only reason I'm interested is for a total landscape install & maint. package along with the drainage work, plus redoing the crappy lawn they installed in the clay.

4. olderthandirt

from here

OH! your after the money ! payup payup payup LMAO

Mac

5. impactlandscaping

It's all about the benjamins....lol..No really, these people are nice, Russian implants recently to the US, and I think this guy really ripped them a new one because of that. I just want to see their property fixed in a proper fashion, and if I happen to make some $$ in the process, better for me. payup .lol It's a really nice devolpment, and this guy is still building there. She told me today that 4 other neighbors are having similar problems with him as well. I don't think he'll be building houses much longer..lol :D

6. olderthandirt

from here

Sure he will, builders are like landscapers the crappy ones rip ppl off then go out of business and open up shop under a new name. They been doing it forever and will continue to do it.

Mac

7. impactlandscaping

There's alot of truth to that, Mac. This guy is from out of state(PA). Maybe he's burned all the people he can there, and is now turning to working in WV?? They can all do whatever they want, as long as we get paid I'm happy :D :D I'll give you a call tomorrow...my AIM isn't working right...