Drainage Question

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by thefarmer4, Feb 28, 2001.

1. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

I have a client that would like us to install drainage pipe on his property. It would be a straight shot (the property is fairly flat) on one side of the property.

I have never installed a drainage line before and am looking for your input on how to do it. Or if there are any books I can get to help.

Questions:
    1. How deep to start and what grade to continue at.
    2. Should I tie into the storm sewer and what does this require? or run it to the back and make a french well?
    3. Does someone have to be called if I'm digging?
    4. Would a mini-skidsteer w/trencher be ideal for the job?
    5. Any thing else that I should consider?

Thank You for your time!

TheFarmer

2. SpringValley

SpringValley LawnSite Member

Tying into the storm sewer could be a problem, check with the city first. As far as depth goes, you need to start at your lowest point and work up from there. The fall should be about 2" per 100 lineal feet. Install a filter sock over the drainage tile or a good 12" of septic type rock or both for best results. Any little trencher that will trench 6" wide (for a 4" pipe)and will go deep enough should do the job just fine for a minimal rental fee.

Matt

3. GroundKprs

GroundKprs LawnSite Bronze Member

Get the utility locator number for your area, and always call them for digging work. Also be sure to know who they mark for. Around here the water service does their own locating. Learn whoever else you have to call individually.

If you damage a main fiber optic line with your digging, you could be in for MAJOR grief. Even more grief for your survivors if you hit an electric or gas line!!

4. EarthTech Landscapes

EarthTech Landscapes LawnSite Member

Be sure to locate all utilities before digging, and use filter fabric or by the 4inch with the cloth already around it, Also use plenty of drain rock. I would go at least 10 to 12 inches deep. i do alot of work for civil engineers in my area and drainage is what i do most for them. i have set large catch basins for them and do tons of surface water drainage. The main mistake that i see is that filter fabric is not used so the dirt and mud inflitrate through the rock and clogs the perferations in the pipe, making the pipe useless, another error is not the use of enough drain rock. Here in the northwest rain is a problem and it is critical the properties have proper and well thought out drainage.

5. thefarmer4

thefarmer4 LawnSite Member

When drainage was installed on my fathers farm they used the black curragated pipe. No filter fabric or stone was used. Some times they would put straw on top and then bury it. Why can't it be done this way for residential applications?

Is it because there is not as much water flow to wash out the pipe?