1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

drainage ?

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by troblandscape, Sep 3, 2003.

1. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I was wondering if running a downspout and sump pump into one 4 inch pipe would work, Both the downspout and sump flow heavily. Do you think it will be ok or should I run them seperatly, to be on the safe side, The pipe will be 75 ft. running into creek..
    Thanks for your help.
  2. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

4" will probably work, but I think I'd go with 6"just for kicks and giggles.
  3. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

/\ agreed with the 6". Doesnt hurt to go a little bigger just to be on the safe side. It will also help flow debris out easier such as leaves and small twigs.
  4. GLAN

GLAN Banned

If you run the downspout, then why would you need the sump pump?

Can you perhaps explain what it is you need to accomplish and why?
  5. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

I am trying to run a downspout from a very large roof, and a pipe from a sump pump in a basement that pumps alot of water, away from a house. I was wondering if a 4 inch pvc pipe would be able to handle the water or if I should run them seperatly.
  6. kris

kris LawnSite Bronze Member
    from nowhere

Never bury a downspout if you live in a area with freeze- thaw unless it is an elaborate system well below the frost line .. I’ve done a few that the "mouths" can easily be lifted out of the entrance of the drainage pipe in spring and fall. I would keep the sump line separate .... again I wouldn't bury this unless you have some kind of system for spring and fall thaws.’
  7. GLAN

GLAN Banned

yeah run seperate. This way debris from the gutters will not affect the sump pump from the house.
  8. troblandscape

troblandscape Guest

Thank for the help!
  9. BRL

BRL LawnSite Bronze Member

You need to know the specs of the pump, rises and distances to determine what size outlet pipe you need (the pump installation directions will tell you the info you need). If at all possible, I'd run 2 separate systems also. And since you are in an area that freezes, make sure you account for the frozen water sitting in those pipes potential when designing the system.
  10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what the technical name is, but have you seen those Y shaped openings with screen to catch and clean debris from gutters at knee level?

You should not need a bigger pipe for twigs to go through, since nothing bigger than a few fir needles should ever go into a drain.

A 4" pipe, will have faster water velocity during the heavier flows, which means better cleansing action than a 6" line, which will maintain a slower flow.

It won't be a big difference, but it will be a difference.

Its barely concievable that a sump pump and a 3" gutter will overload a big 4" pipe. The extra inch from 3" to 4", means not 1" wider, but that the 4" pipe is almost 60% greater for volume, because the diameter difference is all the way around, not just side to side.