Draining hydro oil on SCAG Walk Behind SWZ-20CVE ?

Discussion in 'Mechanic and Repair' started by gadfreak, Mar 20, 2006.

1. gadfreak

gadfreak LawnSite Member
    from nj

Do you guys run your unit till its hot before changing the hydro fluid and filter? Mine takes 10w-30 oil and its pretty cold out so I was figuring it would come out better if its warm. Thanks for the info

I don'r know when it was last changed as it was bought used....

2. TURF DOCTOR

TURF DOCTOR LawnSite Silver Member

Yes warm it up before you drain it,the biggest problem is most neglected the hydro.

3. Restrorob

Restrorob LawnSite Fanatic

It's always best to warm a unit before doing this, It not only helps the oil drain quicker but allows any extra contaminates to flow out easier also.

4. Toro 44

Toro 44 LawnSite Member

I have a great dane wb with a hydraulic system almost identical to gadfreak's scag. My question is, when changing the hydro fluid, is there any way to get everything out of the pumps and wheel motors as well, or is this not even critical? At about 700hrs, all I've ever done is change the 4qts. in the reservior and the filter. Your thoughts?

5. Toro 44

Toro 44 LawnSite Member

Any thoughts? Restrorob thank you for taking the time to post about your experience and knowledge. I find myself thinking, this guy answers all of our questions, when does he have time to work? So hats off to ya.:D

oh, and thanks in advance for the input.