Drains sticking open?

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by Total Lawn & Landscape, Jan 17, 2006.

1. Total Lawn & Landscape

Total Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

We use USA auto drains on all our systems, on the last one we did we went back to check on some things, and saw a wet area where we knew there were drains,, come to find out the drains were sticking open, even when it was pressurized, just wondering if anyone else has ever had this happen to them?
    TL&L

2. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

the reason why we do not use them: Our local supplier said that over time they have a chance of becoming defective and staying open. As over time debris and the possibility of roots causing them to stick open or the the reverse side preventing them from draining. How old where the systems?

3. Total Lawn & Landscape

2 months old, we are guessing that they were defective from the factory.
    TL&L

4. Broker

Broker LawnSite Senior Member

I would have to agree. To bad they don't comp time with the warranty. I have a local Hunter Supply shop that piss me off every summer concerning timers. The never take warranty on the timers. If a owner tells me something is not right and I can't troubleshoot and I am out three times and decide to warranty the timer and then I take it to the authorized distributor they keep for 5 days and call me to tell me there is nothing wrong and to pick it up. No me the contractor is the one in the middle taking the crap. What do you do tell the owner that some guy did a electrical test and said to return it, they would not be happy about that. Now on the other hand our local RainBird supplier will take any thing on warranty on not give you the 5th degree. What's up with that?

5. aquamtic

aquamtic LawnSite Senior Member

RI Ohio- Are you sure that your supply house is an "authorized Dealer" one thing I can say about my supplier on Hunter products, is no questions asked on returns. You should find out who the local Hunter rep is for your area and let him know the situation.
    Hunter also gives a great troublshooting seminar on their controllers which has helped us out alot

6. Total Lawn & Landscape

We have never used anything but a Rainbird controller, unless it was a pre existing controller, and we have had nothing but good luck, if you ever have a problem just run it in, they look at it, fix it if need be, and out you go.
    TL&L

7. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We have to warantee about 1 Rainbird ESP-M a year...thats pretty good reliability if you ask me.

We don't use Auto drains. They don't work, period in my experience.

8. Total Lawn & Landscape

Which type of drains do you use?
    TL&L

9. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

We don't install automatic or manual drains unless the homeowner requests it. We do offer a winterization service though.

Our experience has been the less things the homeowner can monkey with, the better.

10. jerryrwm

jerryrwm LawnSite Bronze Member

Possibility of them defective is very good. Also maybe trash from installation.

But auto-drains do work if you need them in certain situations. Just make sure they are installed correctly. They are useful on hill sides where you want to reduce low head drainage across a public walk or street.

1. They should not be at the end of the line. Use a tee and then install a 12" piece of piping and a cap on the downstream side of the autodrain. This allows trash to accumulate in the end pipe and not the autodrain.

2. Install the autodrain at 45° from verticle. This will also help prevent clogging of the outlet.