1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Drawbacks of Vinyl Lettering

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by maal, Feb 1, 2004.

1. maal

maal LawnSite Member
    from georgia

Ok guys,

We all know there are two sides to every story and then ther is the truth.

We just bought a Van and will be getting a cabover in the spring. We are shopping for quotes to have the vinyl lettering done.

My question is is there anything to be concerned about when it comes to the lettering process?

What type of maintenance should be done to keep the lettering secured over the years?

And finally, are there any drawbacks to have the lettering on the truck in the first place?

2. Avery

Avery LawnSite Bronze Member

Make sure your app. guy knows what he is doing or the lettering will peel. Done correctly it will stay on.

If the lettering is ever taken off (especially on darker vehicles) you will still see where it was due to the surrounding paint fading.

That is about the only drawbacks I can think of. I like lettering much better than magnetic signs. Looks more professional IMO.
  3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Do not park in the front of a bar.
    Do not show any form of rd. rage.
    Do not turf property to drum up biz.
    Only draw backs I can think of now. LMAO

No just keep a clean truck and the lettering will be fine.

4. Meadowbrook

Meadowbrook LawnSite Senior Member

I've always used vinyl lettering. Only drawback is the paint fading, unless you have a white truck. Magnetics can be pulled off, which works both ways. You can take it off, say if you were to go to a strip club, which would be good..for obvious reasons. BUT, on the other hand, local hoodlums can pull it off, cut it, etc. Just my thoughts...

5. mmacsek

mmacsek LawnSite Senior Member

I went from magnetic signs to vinyl lettering about 4 years ago. The place I got it done at did a great job. No signs of peeling or fading. His price was a little higher but worth it. I was told the quality of the vinyl is the secret to longevity. The average roll of vinyl costs about 20.00 and the stuff he uses is about 100.00. I'm sure proper installation doesn't hurt. I was told it should last about 7 to 8 years. I've seen some other lettering jobs and I have no reason to doubt him. Also, what Olderthandirt said!!

UNISCAPER LawnSite Bronze Member

I like painted over vinal, it looks so much richer when done...Problem is, there are very few sign artists left, as the laser took that away...So, I had to lower my stabndards and use vinal for our new trucks...Took a while to get used to, but I like it.
  7. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Two schools of thought when applying vinyl: Wax the paint well before application of the lettering will adhere well due to the ultra smooth surface. Or, put it on the paint as is, the wax will keep it fom staying on. I can tell you from experience that a well waxed surface will hold the lettering on better. This advice came to me from a friend who is in the graphics/signs business and he definately knows his stuff. And yes, you will definately see paint fade. Be sure what you put on is what you want, the ghost image left after removal will make you want to repaint whatever you've put it on. I once had a RED go-fast boat that we renamed, what a nitemare sanding and polishing the gelcoat to get an even color to reapply over!!!!
  8. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

Go easy with the power washer around vinyl lettering.