Drawing up contracts...

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by The Curious Porpoise, Sep 27, 2005.

1. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

i'm all new to drawing up contracts for service... next year i hope to have a large percentage of mowing customers down on contract--collecting in person each time i want money just takes up too much time. when i'm writing up a contract, is there special wording or verbage i need to use in order to make it an official contract. i've heard in the past that sometimes in a court dispute that a "contract" gets thrown out as evidence because it is not official... right now i am trying to keep overhead low so i would like if at all possible to avoid working w/ an attorney at this juncture--maybe 2007... so anyway, can any one help me out?

2. N.H.BOY

N.H.BOY LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll be the first to tell ya to do a "SEARCH" for this. There are loads of diff. types and info on this. I myself have written "agreements" and not contract, sounds alot better and also the customer does not get freaked out with the word "contract" comes up

3. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

You can buy a general contract form from Staples, or Office Max but I would strongly urge you to pay for the services of a good business law attorney. What you spend now might save you thousands next yr.

4. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

I can’t stress enough to get a lawyer to look over your contract; he can make sure your tail is covered in the fine print on the back of the contract lol.

Hey Mac ,guess who is going to be drawing up contract’s for us lol.

5. olderthandirt

from here

Duwee, Cheatum & How LPA :D :D

6. 6'7 330

You forgot -HMCWGAW(How Much Can We Get Away With)lol

7. The Curious Porpoise

The Curious Porpoise LawnSite Member

how much is a lawyer gonna charge me to "look over" my contracts... don't know if it'd be quite worth it next year... right now i have 25 accounts, and by next year i hope to have 60-70. maybe i should bite the bullet and collect the $ w/o contracts even i though i hate doing that, and then just wait til '07 to start w/ my contracts... i don't know.....

8. olderthandirt

from here

About $250 an hr to look it over and make the changes neccasary to protect you. Expensive ? If your sued or get ripped on a job thats over $250 and need to collect you won't think its expensive. payup

9. 6'7 330

Listen to wise old Mac, the cost is minimal considering you get your ass covered, and WILL save you money in the long haul. We have a contract each for maintenance and installs.

10. LB1234

LB1234 LawnSite Gold Member

IMHO, you are playing with fire. It is tough to have the best of both words. If you want to be assured (Well, not 100%...) the contract is legit and you will get paid then you really should consult an attorney. I find it hard to believe you can't afford a few hundred bucks until 2007 for an attorney to review your contract. Sorry :rolleyes: