Dreaded fall clean ups

Discussion in 'Landscape Maintenance' started by Mr Budget, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Well here goes another one, more leaves to blow around, tarp up, & haul away, :cry: Tell me am i the only LCO that dreads these clean ups. yea I know they are good money makers,but sometimes i would wish that all i would have to do was mow. Do you think a person that dreads a part of their work field is in the wrong field?

2. MowerMoney

MowerMoney LawnSite Senior Member

No. Can't allways love every part of the job.
    I hate leaves also. But I am also getting a little tired of constantly cleaning decks and sharpening blades.

3. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

This is my favorite time of the year for working. EVERYTHING gets mulched with my ExMark 48" TT. So easy, and the lawns improve every year. LCO's just don't get it.......... So be it. I perform 1 - 3 passes and I am OUT OF THERE!

4. SOMM

SOMM LawnSite Senior Member

Only a B if it's pitchforking wet frozen leaves (a job we'll have if we land in hell, we suppose).

Otherwise with good equipment with gator blades mulching into established turf, and operators with rakes and tarps and various blowers, one's own operation could gross $25-$45 per quarter hour for the inconvenience of delaying good golf, hunting and fishing days this time of year, for this timely endeavour to prevent the layers of wet frozen leaves from replacing their customer's turf.

Your leaf rates need to be way higher than your lawn rates to really pay off.

5. Ron's Lawncare

Ron's Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

this is my favorite time of the year. first is not hot second no trimming. i blow out around the house and beds then suck up everything with my walker. then i dump the walker beside my truck. when i finish i fire up the truck loader and suck up the pile.

6. robby

robby LawnSite Member

I'm running the same mower as you and with the same idea. I have ZERO desire to get off the mower to actually gather leaves up and dispose of them. I'd rather run over them a few passes and chop them up and be done with it. It works on most all of my yards and the customers are happy to have them done that way.

7. Moretta Lawn Care

Moretta Lawn Care LawnSite Member

Yea leaves are a pain... but like eveyone else has said they are good money makers. Just think about it for a min and you realize you hate it because you are not on a mower. You have to walk and work harder then mowing and it gets frustrating. It's only a few weeks outa the year and you can still get some mowing time in. :cool2:

8. Lovingreen

Lovingreen LawnSite Member

Customers hate it too, that is why they pay so much to have it done!

9. Mr Budget

Mr Budget LawnSite Member

Yea this must be true, It sounds like i need to invest in some other types of leaf equipment to make it a little more enjoyable.

10. If we had the equipment for the side jobs like we have for mowing we'd probably like the side jobs too.
    But like my son-in-law told me that's how you become "equipment poor".

I have a leaf mulching kit for the Toro 580-D that I've used a total of once.