DREAM SHOPS!!!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kountryscape, Jan 23, 2001.

1. kountryscape

kountryscape LawnSite Member
    from iowa

I'VE BEEN BUILDING MY DREAM SHOP THIS WINTER, AND GOT TO THINKING THAT THIS WOULD BE SOMETHING TO ASK YOU GUYS ON THE FORUM. MY SHOP IS A OLDER 36X64 MORTON BUILDING MOSTLY GRAVEL BASE SOME CONCRETE. I PLAN TO HAVE A MODINE HEATER OR MYBE A CORN STOVE? AND TO CONCRETE A 16 X 24 AREA TO MAKE THE SHOP NICE TO WORK IN. THE WORK AREA THAT IM GOING TO HEAT IS 24X24 WITH A 8X8 OFFICE AND 8X16 STORAGE ROOM, ON THE SIDE. THE REST OF THE BUILDING WILL STAY GRAVEL FOR STORAGE FOR TRACTORS AND TRUCKS ETC.

WHAT KIND OF IDEAS HAVE YOU USED TO MAKE YOUR SHOP WORK BETTER STORAGE,HEAT,OFFICE WORK BENCH, SPECIAL TOOLS OR HOIST ETC. ANY IDEAS!!!

SORRY THIS IS IN ALL CAPS DIDN'T NO IT TELL I WAS ALL DONE.

THANKS
    JARRETT W. MORGAN
    COUNTRYSCAPE
    LANDSCAPING & GREENHOUSE
    "BUILDING YOUR IMAGINATION"

2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Jarrett, with all that space, where will the clubhouse area be? :)

3. scottb

scottb LawnSite Senior Member

IM looking at a 30' by 45' Morton building and I hope to build it tall enough for some loft storage. And of course a leantoo off the back side for my tractor or truck. Guess Ill have to keep dreaming.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I don't have a big fancy work shop, but I did help my life long friend build a shop that I have my welder at and I have access to at any time. He built a pole barn 24 by 60 and made 20 x 24 of it into a heated shop and the rest is for other vehicles. I did all of the electrical and he did the plumbing. It has a 12'ceiling with storage over the back part of it and a stairway going up. Under this storage is a forced air furnace, a bath room and office. We built a work bench along the one side with a grinder and a vise on it with storage bins on both ends to finish out this wall. The welder is next to the service entrance door and it has a 10 by 10 overhead door too. He put a big ceiling fan up to blow the hotter air down and it is all insulated and drywalled. It has a ceiling hand chain hoist for doing heavy lifting jobs and also a floor drain in the area for washing things inside.

Maybe something here will give you some ideas. It is a nice shop to work out of, especially when it's cold.

5. kountryscape

from iowa

THE CLUBHOUSE WILL BE ANYWHERE I AM . THE PLANS INCLUDE A REFRIGERATOR,TV AND STEREO. SO THE PARTY COULD BE ANY TIME. HEY HAS ANYONE CHECKED OUT http://www.MORTONBUILDINGS.COM YET COOL SITE YOU CAN EVEN DESIGN YOUR BUILDING ON THERE. THIS IS WHAT WINTER IS FOR ,DREAMING

JARRETT W. MORGAN
    COUNTRYSCAPE

HEY DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY WEB SITES ON SHOP DESIGNS OR IDEAS! THANKS

6. kountryscape

from iowa

Sounds like a nice shop . i wanted a drain in the floor but theres isnt a good place for it to drain. idea for you guys i came up with a while ago . a giant shower curtain that encompasses your truck with four foot of space around it. so when you pressure wash the trucks the over spray doesnt land on your workbench or tools, just an idea.

jarrett morgan
    countryscape

7. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

Jarrett, Would you please turn the "caps lock" off. It's easier to read in lower case letters.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

kountryscape:
    What we did was run a line out and hooked it into the septic we needed for the bath room. If you are in an area where you can get away with this, put a line out to a dry well. Just dig a big hole and fill it with gravel. If the drain doesn't get used much, a small dry well would work fine.
    Just an idea.
    Eric

9. jaclawn

jaclawn LawnSite Senior Member

Give me an unlimited budget, and I would have an awesome shop.

About 10 K square feet should do. The building would have 20' ceilings, and 20' garage doors all along one of the long sides.

The two end bays would be mechanics bays, one with a lift, and the other with a pit. Tool boxes ans benches could line the wall near this area. Also, the parts inventory could be shelved in this area as well.

My next area would be for trucks and trailers to park, still loaded, and attached. It would be designed so that nothing would have to be moved in order to get anything else out.

The other area would be for miscellenaeous equipment storage.

I would also have an are for storage of pallets of material.

An office and locker room and loung area would also be included.

A car port on one side of the building could provide semi protected storage space for items like snowplows.

Across the parking lot would be bins for storge of bulk materials.

All this in a fenced in, concrete lot.

Ok, so who wants to loan me the half million to build this?

10. Greenkeepers

Greenkeepers LawnSite Senior Member
    from NE Ohio

We just got the shell of our Brand new shop done. It's a 30x60 pole building. 2 Garage doors on the front one 9x9 and one 8x9 and a man door on the side. We're going to cement the whole thing this spring and put a drain down the center. The whole back wall is going to be a workbench and area for the welders, air compressor, and all the goodies. We are going to run auxiliary air lines throughout so that we don't have to stretch hoses across the floor all over. And we're going to have a tv, radio, phone and probably a wash sink (w/ hot water) and a bathroom. We're insulating the whole thing and putting plywood over all the walls. The rafters are going to be used for storage space as well... It is going to be heated by a wood burning furnace with duct work run down the center of the ceiling blowing down. Oh yeah we're going to make some kind of alarm on it so no one can get in.

THats about it, I think.....