1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Dream Team

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment & Pavement' started by jazak, Jun 8, 2006.

1. jazak

jazak LawnSite Senior Member
    from NJ

If you could start a new excavation company and money to purchase equipment wasn't an issue.

What type of work would you go into?

Where in the country?

What machines would you purchase? This is the only catch you are limited to 5 machines in the begining.

What trucks would you buy? You are limited to 5.

What trailers would you buy? You are limited to 3.

How would you design your shop? and how would you outfit it?
  2. jazak

from NJ

Cat 305 w/ thumb, 3 buckets
    Cat 314 w/ thumb, 4 buckets
    Cat 430E IT, 4x4, ext hoe, forks, thumb, breaker
    Cat D5G w/ laser level
    Cat 908 or 262B w/ forks, bucket, broom, cold planer

F-350 Crew Cab, all opts, fuel tank (my truck)
    F-550 ext cab, 10' aluminum dump, all opts
    Peterbilt 335 all opts
    Peterbilt 357 all opts, tri-axle dump w/ 20' tag
    Peterbilt 357 all opts, tri-axle tractor w/ 55 ton lowboy & dump trailer

Hydrolic lifts
    My own office
    Heated & AC
    Lift cranes
    100' h x 400' l x 200' w keep all the stuff in it plus some
    & all the little toys
    4 Wash bays
    2 Welding. fabrication areas
    1 Painting area

The place I would service all of NJ some of NY and PA. The work any thing that isn't to big and anything that pays good. A while later I would get a F550 & Pete 335 service truck, a Cat 321 ex, a Cat 330, a Cat 308, a Cat 924G loader, a Cat 930 a Cat CS-563E compactor, 2 Cat 740 arictulated dump trucks & 5 more of each 357 Pete and 2 more 357 tractors.
  3. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

-Cat 312CL, hyd thumb and coupler, hoepac, 24", 36", 60" buckets
    -Cat 320CL, hyd thumb and coupler, Indeco breaker, 42" and 60" buckets
    -Cat 420E, cab + air, 4x4, extendahoe, 4-in-1 bucket
    -Cat D5N, cab + air, dual slope laser grading system or GPS grading system
    -Cat 924G, cab + air, hydraulic coupler, smooth lip bucket

-Ford F550, flatbed, transfer tank, underbody and high side toolboxes
    -Kenworth T600 service truck, Autocrane 5,000 pound crane
    -(2) Kenworth T800, 1 with a 16' Workman rock body dump, high lift gate, the other with a 16' Sturdy Weld box (built right here in Lynnwood!). Both trucks with 500 HP Cat power, 18 speed, front lift axle, rated for 105,000 each.
    -Kenworth T800 tractor, 550 HP Cat power, 18 speed, lift axle, rated for 140,000

-Trailmax TRD-54 tilt
    -Talbert 55 ton lowboy
    -SideDump'r, frame body

-1 big arc welder, 1 MIG
    -100 gallon compressor
    -Air ventiliation system
    -1 20 ton hydraulic lift
    -100 x 200'

If I had my way, we'd be doing only development work. In the coming years, we'd add a Cat 330CL, 345BLII, 365CL, (2) Cat 631G scrapers, (2) Ingersoll Rand 10 ton rollers, 1 with sheepsfoot and 1 with smooth drum, (3) Volvo A40D ADT's, Cat 950G wheel loader, Cat D6RXL dozer, SU blade equipped with dual plane grading system, (2) Cat D8T equipped with dual plane grading system.
  4. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

jazak why would you waste money on a dump trailer if you have all those dump trucks already? Where in NJ are you located.

5. Scag48

Scag48 LawnSite Fanatic

Because the "dump trailer" he's talking about is probably a 20 ton end dump, not a weenie one you pull behind a pickup.
  6. Gravel Rat

Gravel Rat LawnSite Fanatic

For me its K.I.S.S.

Kubota 161 Mini ex
    John Deere or Hitachi 160 and a 200 or 690 Deere
    580 or 590 Case Backhoe
    1 Tandem axle dump truck Kenworth T-800 basic West Coast truck 450hp 20-46 axles with standard 16'6" dump box.
    1 Tilt trailer to haul the excavators.

No need for wheel loaders no need for bulldozers not used enough to warrent having them waste of money for us. A rubber tired backhoe can do 90% of the grading.

No need for a lowbed and truck tractor don't want equipment that needs it. Cheaper to higher a trucking company a lowbed doesn't make money it costs you money. If the work warrents it maybe have two dump trucks in total no need for more they don't make money.

For a shop have one large enough to get any piece of equipment in don't need a huge shop you just get nailed with taxes. The shop would have enough tools to do most repairs rest of it can be sent away. The shop need good lighting and heat.

Don't need service trucks just more expenses maybe have a company truck say a F-450. What ever needs repaired can go back to the shop why fix things in the field.

I know guys that had lots of equipment with a decent payroll of employees gave it all up and went small. You will make more enough money with the equipment I listed above more equipment you have more headaches you have.

One guy I meantioned him before anyhow he had a bunch of excavators got rid of it all bought a 8000lb mini and thats all he does now. He makes more money with the mini he says its less stress, less headaches.

All you want is a company with you and 2-3 employees its easy to keep them busy no big payroll to deal with. Why would you want to be stressed out trying to manage a big company life is too short to be dealing with high stress that will kill you. The money is in doing residential construction small jobs get paid and move onto the next one.

When you talk to guys with 30 years in business they always say keep it small and simple get to big then your just looking for headaches.
  7. murray83

murray83 LawnSite Senior Member

ok i'm game....

-deere 160C with a thumb,digging & ditching bucket
    -deere 310SG 4x4,ex-hoe
    -20 ton BWS tandem tag along
    -a basic tandem with a 15' dump

shop..hmmm probably 25x50 at my house,regular tools (hand and air) and a nice miller mig welder and torch set.

just do lot clearing/new home excavation,septic systems,water & sewer lines,if i'm not busy i'd do trucking work for other local contractors and hire my equipment to them.

i have to agree dozers in residential work are basically useless anyone can grade a lot with an excavator and loaders are only used in pits or heavy truck loading.
  8. 2004F550

2004F550 LawnSite Senior Member

wow two D8T's...thats only 1 mil lol

M RASCOE&SONS LawnSite Bronze Member

cat -330
    cat -972
    cat -D5
    cat -430 ext hoe 4x4
    cat -345
    pete triaxle rolloff with cat 550 18speed
    pete triaxle dump with cat 550 18speed
    pete triaxle heavy hauler cat 600 18 speed
    advance mixer with cat pwr
    advance mixer with cat pwr
    triaxle demo dump trailor
    double axle dump trailor
    5 bays with one bay set up with pit to change oils
    would have to be set up with snap on tools
    welders .compressors.heat and ac
    outside covered wash bay with hot and cold pressure washer
    office space would be big enough for future office manager ,myself ,and jobsite foreman.
    we would mainly stay on the shoreline and surounding towns:drinkup:
  10. jazak

from NJ

I live in Rockaway. Why?

Because the "dump trailer" he's talking about is probably a 20 ton end dump, not a weenie one you pull behind a pickup.

Exactly SCAG48