Dreamscapes Unlimited (my story)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Rich Walker, Jan 23, 2008.

1. Rich Walker

Rich Walker LawnSite Member

Hello, my name is Rich I am the owner of Dreamscapes Unlimited out of Cincinnati, Ohio. I have 28 years of Industry experience and have worked with several small companies, to the industry giants in the green industry. I have had Dreamscapes now for 11 years we are a full service lawn maintenance and landscape company Licensed with the state of Ohio and The Department of Agriculture for chemical lawn applications. I started Dreamscapes with no capital and out of the trunk of my car and have grown rather conservatively over the past 11 years we have done large complete commercial installation jobs as well as service about a 60 mile radius from our office, Our retention rate exceeds 96% annually and we get most of our new work from referrals. We are aggressively working on our marketing plan and budget for this season as we will be trying to add substantial new clients. Previously I had owned three other lawn care businesses the first by my 3rd year I had sales exceeding 500k annually and over 14 commercial mowers and 6 trucks went through a rough divorce and lost 250,000k in liquid assets in my early 20's the next business I had started again from scratch was in West Palm Beach again third year sales 500K walked away from that company due to a custody battle for my son, started third business and made a bad choice and took a business partner again close to 500k annual sales by our third year and my business partner filed bankruptcy and it wiped us out completely. So then I tried Retail Management was doing great and managing multi-million in annual sales and up to 300 employees I hated it severely so I started Dreamscapes Part Time after I usually worked my 80+ hour retail job and found minimal time but grew it to a fine small business and really want to be more aggressive and grow more. Also when I was a teen I mowed up to 30+ lawns in neighborhood and made a small business back then, who knew that I would continue this adventure for so long,However I don't think I could or would want to do anything else. Looking for any advice on improving my strategy for my company and also recommendations on software. Have been seriously considering Real Green ( state of the art) ? I think but costly or Clip??? Advice ?? Appreciated.

Thanks for Reading if you did, sorry to ramble, just new to forum and excited for any new ideas.

2. THELENDER

THELENDER LawnSite Member

Clip Is Horrible..... I run q clip and compared to a few others that handle large numbers it is not really that good. Plus, Plan on spending about 2 weeks reading the manuals if you are not familar with it.

3. Rich Walker

Thanks for reply, I will try to wait until I can get the Real Green software, I have used it in the past and I like the functions it offers ,and relatively easy to use. Although with an expensive price, I am sure it would be worth the wait. Have you looked at the Real Green software??

4. THELENDER

I haven't really looked at it much... There is a software company that produces something compared to Tru-Green's AS 400 called green solutions that I have not yet tried. There is a local company here that that has about
    6k accounts that uses it and the owner says it towers over every other service software.

5. kandklandscape

kandklandscape LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

DO NOT GET REAL GREEN THEY ARE A WASTE OF MONEY. I had real green, and the 1800 lawncare number. Mitch from real green took my wifes credit card and charged it after we signed a cancelation letter and also send certified letters and now they are at the attorney generals office awaiting fraud charges. I am sure that they will get out of it as they have prob 100million in the bank and I only have 100k Get the picture? Money talks with this company real green. 3,500 for software that they will not even help you use?! DO NOT GET REAL GREEN Waste of money and fraud. I have about 5 people who have contacted me regarding this issue, feel free to contact me if you are having the same problems as I am.

6. Rich Walker

Thelender? Are you talking about Buckeye in Dayton Mark G's business they are the only independant I know of in the Dayton area probably that size. (not a national company) I will have to check into that software as well. I have only looked at a few: Real Green, clip, lawn monkey and have not really checked them out enough to make a decision.

Kandklandscape post said not to use real green, that is good advise because I just attended one of there marketing seminars up past Columbus a few weeks ago and they tried to sell it to you at the end of seminar ,and the 800lawncare etc numbers. You are right I am sure they are a very rich company , ( Scotts Lawnservice uses their software forms etc) I was very interested but smart enough to to be pressured into an immediate sale either, until I obtained more information about them. However, they presented themselves very well and said with out a doubt they offer full support and an unconditional 100% money back guarantee, and then they are not paying you back amazing??

7. kandklandscape

from PA

ya there 100% gurantee is that you need to buy, pay and use there software, 800 vanity numbers for 18 months, well you know its expensive as you went to there seminars, they are VERY VERY professional, the owner even comes, and then i dont know if he did this in your seminar you attended but O just so happens that the founder of scotts well president AND tru green happened to call? i dont know. sounds weried lol

anyways thats there gurantee and they will fully refund you back (so they say)

brian bocholupo or some crap is the vanity number guy and mike, mike was very nice but brian blows smokw up your butt, i am VERY gullible, and of course i took it and ate all of it and got stuck in the end. Mitch called and said we are trying to put the charges on yoru wifes credit card, i said she NEVER authorized anything just the initial deposit, well he kept using it and about 5k? or so later we analize the credit card bills and find out they have been charging my wifes credit cards, we just pay the bills never really look at them until they got that high!!!!

but mitch went ahead kept charging it and charging it after sending certified letters, phone calls (100) or so? faxs, returning the mail marked fraud and turning them into attorney general, finding out there are a few complaints about them. they go by 3 or 4 different company names.

joe kucik never even worked in the green industry field! he is the owner, now how is that possible? i dont get it, but he owns his very own private jet. he knows marketing, and thats all they sell pretty much. but how can you be in the green industry and never actually done hands on work? i guess he is kinda like donald trump lol

this all kinda reminds me of when i met fred deluca founder of subway. i bought a subway franchise, they said "we gurantee your franchise will work, if not we will pay to re locate" YEA RIGHT what a lie! they also said they will help with doing local advertising once opened for 6 months, what a lie! i had the franchise for 8 months, planned on buying 10 more when i got into it but all fell apart about 4 months into the business. rob peter to pay paul... then you go ahead borrow money off your other business, of course the landscaping company. used all of its money had money problems after that as well. we all have money problems sometime in life.

subway is another franchise you need to watch out for! love the brand, love the product, BUT make sure its a DIAMOND of a location! I plan on opening up at least 10 later in life, but not until I am at least 40. dream business is a steakhouse, was going to buy a building for a steakhouse but went for subway instead. day i sold subway somebody bought the building i wanted to put a steakhouse in. subways only work if you have multipul locations, sorry for the off topic comment here but figured i would tell you another lie of companies.

its just a selling thing, the fine print is there, jsut pay a lawyer $1500 and he will look over it, no one has the time, patience or anything to look at the fine print.

real green has a great software system, but no help, no tech support as promised and the 800 vanity they promise the world to, it is a great tool., but again they promise you advertising help, plus refund wheres my refund mitchy and brian?!!!

8. THELENDER

Rich,

The company I am talking about actually has 2 locations. One is in south Dayton called signiture lawns which used to be unique lawn care. The 2nd location which is 5 miles south of cincinnatti is still called unique but he sold the one here in Dayton to tru-green for a few million.

9. THELENDER

He then started a new company after selling unique of dayton to tru-green and then started signature about 4 years ago. Last time I spoke with a couple of buddies that actually run the sales room they are close to 5,800 customers.

10. kandklandscape

from PA

5800 customers is alot of headaches, i would never want to expand to that extreme