Dremel for sharpening?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gogetter, May 9, 2001.

1. gogetter

gogetter Banned

Ok, I know some of your are tired of "sharpening" questions. So let me say that I did do a search and read the past posts.

I definately can't justify spending the money for a dedicated blade sharpener. Only doing about 10 small lawns weekly.

Some like hand held angle grinders, others bench grinders, etc.

I only saw one post from a guy that liked using a Dremel.

I've been really wanting to get a Dremel for a couple different reasons anyway. So, I'd like to hear from anyone else that uses a Dremel for mower blade sharpening.

Thanks, and sorry to those that have had enough of this topic.

2. KirbysLawn

KirbysLawn Millenium Member

Take them to LEsco or a local mower shop and have them sharpen them. I had Lesco do mine until I bought my sharpener.

3. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

i use to use the roto zip but found that the motors just not made for regular sharpening duties. the roto was very fast
    so was wondering how long it takes to sharpen with dremel.
    i think commercial use is just to much for this type tool.
    it would be great for homeowners though.

4. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I have used the dremel to sharpen blades. I don't use a grinding stone though, I use the little round sanding barrel. Works like a charm. The sandpaper grit shaves the metal right off. You have to change the sander about every 5 blades. But, it does work rather well, and it will take nicks out of the blades. I can put a razor sharp edge on a blade in about a minute with this tool.

P.S.- If you do not own a dremel, get one! I use mine for everything.

5. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

KDsLawns- you use the dremel for sharpening blades,how did it do when the blades were out of balance?I do use my dremel for the chain saws, hedge trimmers.

Kirby- The first year that I started doing this I took blades to a dealer and he sharpened them,but now the price for sharpening blades is 6.00 a blade and doing this every week that is expensive,I thought I would be better getting new blades until someone made a comment about balancing new blades,and I checked them,wow were they out of balance,so I got a angle grinder till I can get a dedicated blade grinder to do it.

6. Island Lawn

Island Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

Dremel for hedge trimmers?
    My hedge trimmers are brand new, but they're not sharp enough for me!
    Sounds like a good idea!
    And if it will do mower blades too, then there's two birds w/ one stone!
    I did a search for "sharpening hedge trimmers" and this is the only thread that came up.

Anybody got more to add to this idea?

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

kd and all im just curious as to how long you have been sharpening your blades with your dremel. as i said the rotozip was good for about 6 months or so and the motor was shot.
    the dremel is smaller but mabe tougher.

8. summitgroundskeeping

summitgroundskeeping LawnSite Senior Member

My brother bought me the Sears Craftsmen version of the Dremel for my birthday to sharpen my blades. It's a piece of crap, dosen't do a d@mn thing. You can't beat a deticated bench grinder, as cuts go. We don't have one, because our friends at South County let us use theirs. If you don't make the cutting angle as great, it makes a better cut. Your blades arte one of the most important things you use, make them their best.

9. KD'sLawns

KD'sLawns LawnSite Member

I sharpen my blades about once a week, sometimes sooner depending. I sharpen six blades total. I used a 4" angle grinder until it burned up. I was in the middle of sharpening my blades. I got this great idea to drag of the dremel and give it a try. At 16,000rpm's with sandpaper on it, works well and the fact that you are using sandpaper doesn't let you take too much metal off each pass. I really can not speak too much about the durability. I have had mine for about 5 years (only been in business 1 1/2). But, I do use the dremel for all sorts of things. Bought one of the roto-zip blades and use it in my dremel. Cuts everything from wood to vinyl wallboard.

My father-in-law used it the other night to grind the gums on his dentures down.

What bit do you use for your chainsaws?

10. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

sounds like your father in law is on to something.
    i just use a 3/8 file on the saws as i can get desired results
    better by hand. sure was disappointed when the rotozip didnt work out.